Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

1983 NACRA 5.8 main sail repair  Bottom

• does anyone out there know the weight of the original material used for the main sail for a Nacra 5.8 mail sail?
  • Want to know about nacra sails, talk to Skip Elliott. He can tell you more than you will ever want to know.

ELLIOTT / PATTISON SAILMAKERS
    870 Production Place
    Newport Beach, CA 92663

Skip Elliott se@epsails.com

Phone: 949 645-6697

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteWant to know about nacra sails, talk to Skip Elliott. He can tell you more than you will ever want to know.
    Absoloutley! My sails were getting towards the end a few years ago and I contacted Elliot/Pattison sailmakers to see about a new set. Imagine my surprise and pleasure when "Skip" himself answered the phone. One of the legends of catamaran lore. We must have chewed the fat for the better part of an hour before even getting down to business and he treated me like an old friend. He was kind of surprised and I suspect pleased when I said that the new smoked mylar/ pentax sails left me kind of cold and I wanted to mimic the original 1987 sails right down to the colors. He called me back a few days later and said they had been digging around in the old loft and found enough 5.2 oz dacron to make me a new set. When they arrived a few weeks later I couldn't have been more pleased! The feel of new crisp Dacron can"t be beat. I've read some posts recently about injection cloth in various colors and think "it's about time we get a little colr back into the sailing scene!"http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=103641&g2_serialNumber=3 These are the sails I got. Notice the lack of wrinkles in the main and how the leech lines up with the mast. The pocket is right where it should be. The jib was cut in a radial design and the jib battens were angled to allow a tight roll when furled. I suspect your 5.8 sails are a 5.2 oz dacron and the jib would be cut from a 2.8oz Dacron.
  • thank you so much for the info and photo, I had the boat given to me and am in the process of restoring it, will post some pics when I finish which I am hoping will be in time for the Rough Rider Regatta in three weeks.

cheers

David

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.