Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hull decks: how to keep them looking new  Bottom

• The hulls of my 2000 Mystere are in nice shape but the sun-exposed parts were getting a bit dull, particularly the decks. A couple good coats of wax and buffing brought them back like new again. I hesitated to wax the decks for obvious reasons but did it anyways because i didn't want to see them get chalky and crappy-looking. Luckily the slipperines went away with a bit of use so now we don't butt-slide to the sterns in a gust! icon_wink
    My question is this: what's the best way to keep those decks looking new without waxing them? These hulls have strips of "nonskid" textured into the gelcoat, but when waxed they're just as slippery as smooth decks.

BTW, before any racers out there comment, i'm aware that waxing slightly reduces hull speed but I'm just a rec sailor out for a good time. icon_smile

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • as gelcoat degrades it becomes porous and wont hold a shine as long as it would when it was new(er)

after trying many products and methods, i find the easiest is using NewGlass2 (there are many similar like polyglow, newglass, etc)

you clean the boat and use some acid to get it brilliant white again (i use snobol toilet cleaner) and then apply 5-8 coats of this stuff

it seals in the newly cleaned hulls for many months (depending on uv/salt water exposure)

still a good deal of work cleaning the heck out of the boat, and then doing up to 10 coats of the stuff.. but it works...

I should add that simple "maintenance coats" could keep the boat brilliant white for ever.. I ran out of product and inspiration

i am waiting till it cools off here in florida ... and will saill a browned boat till then

Edited by MN3 on Jul 31, 2013 - 11:40 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.