Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Furler - keep it or not?  Bottom

• Hi all,
    I've got a furler that came with my 5.2 that I'm getting ready to sell because I've never used it and I can not currently justify keeping and using it. I'll list why I'm leaning that way and maybe you guys can agree or persuade me otherwise. Before I get rid of it, I thought that I would try to collect some additional opinions.
    My list,
    I trailer every time that I sail, no mast up storage, besides the thought of leaving even a rolled sailed exposed 24/7 makes me cringe. The bottom portion of the furler complicates derigging for trailering just a little bit.

I race weekly (inland lake and occasionally Lake Michigan), I see it as,
    - another string to pull and keep away from clutter on the tramp (there is already a lot more going on with this boat vs my previous hobie 16)
    -something else to go wrong
    -additional weight
    I’m usually solo, so I try to keep it simple on board, I've seen some interesting weather but nothing very extreme (partially why I"m looking for additional input), I've yet to be in a situation where I didn't want the jib anymore, but I'm certain that some of you have.

I see two reasons to keep it,

Same/opposite as above, I sail solo, I would be nice to dial out some jib or remove it if I were in conditions that were too sketchy, but how often do the guys with furlers do this?

If I eventually get a spinnaker kit, it would be nice to roll the jib when the spin comes out, but is that true?

Is it mostly convenience, or are there other gains?

It is somewhat on the market until further notice so if anyone is interested at any point just pm or email me and I'll shoot you a picture.

Thanks all

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • If it was me, I would keep it. Mostly because I would think it would not be worthwhile to remove it and replace with the proper rigging for any worthwhile profit.

I haven't had a furler on my boat since my original Hobie 18, I eventually ended up never using it on that boat once I learned better boat handling. Even with the spin, I never bothered furling the jib. It does sometime help with viewing the spin luff from some places on the boat though.

I've seen people furl jibs with sheets attached and simply remove the forestay when the mast is down and the whole mess gets thrown in the box. I never did that on my Hobie, but its an idea to help with rigging time.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • i would also recommend keeping it and using it. i keep my jib furled until i'm off the beach and headed in the right direction after the rudders and daggers are down and in place. i also furl mine as i come back in to keep from having a puff put me off course, out of control or beaching/docking too fast.

i've tried sailing with a jib partially furled but the curve of the sail is still rolled on the forestay so the shape of the jib is too flat and just plain wrong to be effective.

as for extra weight, it's minor. as for extra line on the tramp, most of the furler hardware is forward the tramp. no big deal.

sailing solo in strong wind, i'll use just the main to keep from being overpowered. it's slower, but more manageable.

derigging: why not leave the furler drum attached to the bridle and pull it up toward the mast with a bungee when on the trailer?
    j

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • I'm all for selling it, except that Bacho has a good point in that you're not likely to come out ahead (with a boat...shocker) so, if possible, maybe just ignore it. It certainly isn't necessary on a 5.2.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • how about if you get caught in a storm? it is a good way to depower your boat as you sail home
  • I vote to keep the furler. Lets say you arrive at the beach, set up, and the wind builds to where you single handed feel you may have more power than you really want to deal with, but the wind is supposed to lighten later in the day. You leave the beach main only, have a great sail, and later when you need more power, pull the jib out as the wind lightens. Or it could be the reverse, as MN3 mentioned. It is always nice to have options!
  • Thanks for the input all much appreciated. All good points.
    A couple things that i forgot to say, I have a non-furler forestay that came with the boat already and the furler is already removed. I like the thought of having options though.
    I wouldn't sell it to get rich, I just would sell it to someone who wants it more than I do, and get something else I could use.
    Based on the feedback, I'll be keeping it for now though and we will see what happens. If someone really wants one, get a hold of me. It seems that this could easily work on a lot of other boats by changing the length of the wire.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.