Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie Furler for H16?  Bottom

• I am seeking knowledge from those who may have already successfully done this or unsuccessfully tried this: has anyone used a jib furler from an H14 Turbo on an H16? Without major modification? What parts are needed? Or scare me away from this?
  • speedracerrx

here is info from hobie cat wire guide. my son has a furling jib on his h16 and it works great. i am getting pics together to post in tech tip forum on here so keep a watch. hope this helps. the furler on my son's is harken small boat furler p/n 434 for the kit about $250 at west marine.

HOBIE 1-14
    Pigtail (Roller Furler) Thimble both ends 1/8 1x19 7 3/8"
    Forestay Thimble both ends 1/8 1x19 13' 10 3/4"
    Shroud Thimble both ends 1/8 1x19 13' 4 5/8"
    NOTE: * = Thimble to thimble (does not include the swivel)

HOBIE 16 OLDER
    Pigtail Thimble both ends 5/32 7x19 6"
    Pigtail (Roller furler system) Thimble both ends 1/8 1x19 14 1/4” *
    Forestay - Lower Thimble both ends 1/8 1x19 17' 6"
    Bridle Thimble both ends 1/8 1x19 3' 8 1/4"
    Bridle for Hobie furler Fork and Thimble 1/8 1x19 3' 6 3/4"
    Shroud Thimble both ends 1/8 1x19 18' 11" (4/95)
    Main Halyard (Non CompTip) C/L Shkle to near side stop 15 5/8" 3/32 7x7 25' 7 3/4"
    Jib Halyard C/L Shackle to downhaul block 1/8 7x19 16' 7 3/4"
    Trapwire Thimble, stops and handles 3/32 1x19 16' 9 1/8"
    Jib Luff Wire / 16 Race Thimble both ends 1/8 7/19 15’ 8 1/2”
    Jib Luff Wire / 16 Rec Thimble both ends 1/8 7/19 16’ 9 1/2 “

--
    Mike Conway
    H16
    Hilton, NY
    --
  • As soon as I have a clear evening I'm going to setup my new boat. It has a roller furling so I can take pictures and measurements if you need them.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Quotethe furler on my son's is harken small boat furler p/n 434 for the kit about $250 at West Marine.

I would look for p/n 435, that is the higher load system, with torlon bearings. The 434 is delrin, & lower rated

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177
    Quotethe furler on my son's is harken small boat furler p/n 434 for the kit about $250 at West Marine.

I would look for p/n 435, that is the higher load system, with torlon bearings. The 434 is delrin, & lower rated

Mike, if you already have the 434 or access to one, just swap out to the torlon bearings. It' caveman easy to do. Just another option . . .

--
    Philip
    --
  • Quotejust swap out to the torlon bearings.

Yes, here is a DIY I made,

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=72561
    You need 90 bearings for the swap, the cheapest I found them was 30 cents each, with postage you are looking at $30.
    Compare that to the cost of buying a used one, or just buying the 435 to begin with.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Edchris177
    Quotejust swap out to the torlon bearings.

Yes, here is a DIY I made,
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=72561
    You need 90 bearings for the swap, the cheapest I found them was 30 cents each, with postage you are looking at $30.
    Compare that to the cost of buying a used one, or just buying the 435 to begin with.

Ed, that is an excellent tech article on swapping the bearings, just the kind of thing I'm always trying to get members to record to help the next guy.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I like the idea of a 1:2 system on the furling line. I haven't used my furling system yet but I would imagine that a speed furler would be pretty slick.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • QuoteEd, that is an excellent tech article on swapping the bearings

Thanks, the photos are quick, the writing & proofing take the time.
    QuoteI would imagine that a speed furler would be pretty slick.

I don't think it's as big an advantage as it might seem. The drum is a pretty small diameter, and it only takes about 4-5 turns to furl the jib. That doesn't equate to much line being pulled, certainly not like your jib or mainsheet.
    What is an advantage was the thick line he used. The furler drum itself requires line no thicker than 3/16", on the 5.0 we had 1/8" dyneema core. That made it easy to spool 6-7 rounds on the drum, but 1/8" line is not very comfortable on the hands. His 1:2 setup, with a much thicker line means a small kid could furl it, even while flogging in a strong breeze.
    You can start out with whatever bit of used line you have lying around,(appx 11') it is easy to swap later on once you decide what you are happiest with, & you don't have to derig, or drop the jib.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Thanks to all for the input. May or may not do it, and if I do will be in the off-season. Thanks again.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.