Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Is Insurance Needed When Sailing or Racing Beachcats?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hmm, Curtis is tempting me to break my regatta cherry too. The wind usually isn't too fierce during the beginning of july.. icon_lol

Is there insurance we can buy through the club on race day or is the only option to go through some other business to get some liability coverage?
  • You need to have your own insurance. If you aren't trying to get damage coverage for your own boat(s) you can usually get the liability coverage you need through your car or home insurance. You still have time to set it up.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • matt922Is there insurance we can buy through the club on race day or is the only option to go through some other business to get some liability coverage?

Liability-only is dirt cheap. I believe it was this race that convinced me to get it back in the dark ages when nobody even talked about insurance. I decided to try my first port start, and things were looking good until Smythe came flying at me on starboard in his latest/greatest A Class Javelin HT Carbon Go Fast Whatever that cost like 20 times as much as my old Hobie 16. The light bulb went off....

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Insurance is not that much, $90 per year thru my auto insurance company.

They gave me some discounts for boater education courses and past ownership.

The 5.0 would be in Open B and the P19MX in Open A. Come on out.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Good to know, still waiting on my registration info on the 5.0 from the state, but it should be in the mail.
  • I had no idea you needed insurance.. Is this mandatory? icon_frown

--
    Prindle 18 aka Yellowtail. On the beautiful Mississippi gulf coast. Gautier / Independent Republic of Vancleave / Ocean Springs. Lot's to learn about these boats.
    --
  • matt922Good to know, still waiting on my registration info on the 5.0 from the state, but it should be in the mail.

All my insurance people needed was a HIN.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • landraiderI had no idea you needed insurance.. Is this mandatory? icon_frown

I suppose it would have to be in the NOR if it were mandatory. Doubt that's something that can be in SIs that you may not get until skipper's meeting.

That said, it is good form to be covered. No one "expects" accidents to happen. Even very experienced sailors get in situations where they don't see everything that's going on in time to keep clear. And I've seen some relationships ruined when folks didn't hold up their responsibilities after a collision (which presumably would be easier if insured).

I pay more now with full coverage, but when I had liability-only it was only about $50 a year. You're covered all year long, not just while racing, and it includes bodily injury. So you can let coastrat on your boat with his keg of PBR, and you'll be covered if he drops it on his toe!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteSo you can let coastrat on your boat with his keg of PBR, and you'll be covered if he drops it on his toe!

as if it were even possible for me to spill one drop of my precious necter of the gods!...every last molecule safely delivered to my oversized beerbelly...but i guess i could drop the EMPTY keg on my toe in a hurry to tap the next one...so you got me on that one..touche!

on a related note, i might just make the race afterall...watch out you stragglers! i'll be stalking you icon_biggrin

Edited by coastrat on Jun 27, 2013 - 05:21 PM.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • [quote=coastrat]
    Quotewatch out you stragglers! i'll be stalking you icon_biggrin

Oh No..... Coastrat's coming, watch out for the lightning.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Quotewatch out for the lightning.

my secret weapon...hail zeus!...it really only works when most of the other boats are NOT already safe at the club...i can't feel my legs since..or is it my arms? oh yeah baby.it's on.mayby.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • QuoteI had no idea you needed insurance.. Is this mandatory?

I had this explained to me a while back. If you have homeowners insurance, it should provide liability for any beachcat that we deal with here. It is based on length of the boat and goes up to 25' or so. Problem is, it does not cover you if you race in a formal event. So if you are in a regatta, you would need insurance that did cover you for that.

Considering the cost of some of the F18s and the like, I would not want to damage one without coverage. I do not race, and I have checked my policy to make sure it contained the provision about boats. If you do race, it should be worth the cost.

--
    Mike Brady
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sailing off Magnolia Beach in Lavaca Bay TX
    http://358degrees.blogspot.com/
    P16 "Pooh Cat"
    --
  • [quote=makinmajik]I had this explained to me a while back. If you have homeowners insurance, it should provide liability for any beachcat that we deal with here. It is based on length of the boat and goes up to 25' or so. Problem is, it does not cover you if you race in a formal event. So if you are in a regatta, you would need insurance that did cover you for that.[quote]

Not to contradict, but just add a caution to anyone reading this thread.......

Some insurance provisions vary widely among the states and companies, so everyone should be careful to make sure they know what they have or are getting. Any agent worth his salt should not only be able to tell you but show you exactly in your policy what is (and is not) covered.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • landraiderI had no idea you needed insurance.. Is this mandatory? icon_frown

It's pretty simple - If you can cut a check that will not bounce for 30,000.00 and it wont hurt your bottom line then NO, you dont need insurance....................

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • Ok, just my opinion get insurance, boat insurance is super cheap, race insurance is not that much more. I had it with my home owners but they called it a hebie cat. I went with Boat US, a little more money and if I wanted to participate in regattas (they knew what a regatta was!) it was more money but not a lot more.

So, if you own anything, I mean any equity in a house or any retirement savings get some boat insurance. When not IF you make a mistake the insurance will save your ass-ets.

Long story short, a fleet was sued when one of its officers was in a car accident, he told the police he was on fleet business. Yup someone not related to sailing got hurt and entire membership of the fleet was sued. Those with insurance were covered and the legal fees were taken care of, those without were paying attorneys out the wazoo. JMHO, YMMV, Ricardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • It absolutely needed IMO. State Farm for $10k in full coverage is $175 pear year for me. Makes you feel a lot better about what could happen.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • QuoteI had no idea you needed insurance.. Is this mandatory?

It actually depends on the race

There are many small local or "casual" races (like around here) that may or may not be run by a club or association that don't even create a proper NOR

many of these races and boats do not require nor carry any insurance.
  • Thank you all for the guidance. I got set up for 100 bucks a year. Super easy. They asked a bunch of questions about where my boat was stored, and "will the boat be raced in anything other than sailing regattas?" Pretty cool that they actually had the Make, and model in a database, and had their own "value" that was not too far out of line. It's prob a waste of $100 bucks, but nice to have just in case.

So. long story short, I'm covered up to 50k. icon_cool

--
    Prindle 18 aka Yellowtail. On the beautiful Mississippi gulf coast. Gautier / Independent Republic of Vancleave / Ocean Springs. Lot's to learn about these boats.
    --
  • as i recall, if your boat is at home, a homeowner's policy covers it if something falls on it, like a limb (been there.) if you're pulling it with your car, your auto policy should cover it.

4 years ago, i left my cat on the beach overnight and a storm (derecho) came thru during the night and flipped it off the beach and into the lake upside down, where we found it the next morning (out in the middle) with the mast bent into an 'L', tillers broken, dents and scratches on the port hull. i had just bought boater's insurance 2 weeks earlier and due to the 'act of God' clause, was able to repair, replace and put it back together. $140 gave me over $3,200 of settlement.

i certainly didn't expect that storm. i wasn't sailing or racing (or even at the lake) but i'm really glad i spent the $ for the coverage. i recommend buying it.
    j

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • makinmajik
    QuoteI had no idea you needed insurance.. Is this mandatory?

I had this explained to me a while back. If you have homeowners insurance, it should provide liability for any beachcat that we deal with here. It is based on length of the boat and goes up to 25' or so. Problem is, it does not cover you if you race in a formal event. So if you are in a regatta, you would need insurance that did cover you for that.

Considering the cost of some of the F18s and the like, I would not want to damage one without coverage. I do not race, and I have checked my policy to make sure it contained the provision about boats. If you do race, it should be worth the cost.

But.... You still may want to check with your insurance as many homeowners policed have changed...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.