Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 14 (73 model) Raising the Mast Without Hinge  Bottom

• I think the current model Hobie 14's have a hinge at the mast base to lever the mast up. But on my 1973 there are no holes or sign of such a thing.

Looking at the old assembly manual it looks like I'm supposed to just pick the mast straight up and set it on the mast step.

The manual says to connect only the side shrouds, then have "your assistant" connect the forestay. It occurred to me that it might be possible to connect the forestay while the mast was sitting on the ground, then pick it straight up like the picture and set it on the step, all done.

Sound like a disaster? Need the Hobie 14 folks input.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87036&g2_serialNumber=3 http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87039&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damon, I've actually done this on a 16 with a broken mast base, no way to connect the step link. Make sure you have the shrouds and forstay attached but loose.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • nacra55Damon, I've actually done this on a 16 with a broken mast base, no way to connect the step link. Make sure you have the shrouds and forstay attached but loose.

So go ahead and attach the forestay, maybe move the shrouds up a few holes to get some slack? The Hobie 14 mast is pretty light so seems doable. Thanks.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Yes, you need slack. It took 2 of us to do the 16 mast but you should be able to do a 14 solo.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • ~~~~ I had one like that... Damon, I'am a short guy... If I can do it,,, well, your tall & big enough to be a ''Gin-pole'' icon_lol .. Don't forget the mast bearing ( that white circle thingy) and slack... icon_wink You can do it !!! Now get out there and ROCK icon_biggrin

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • That is a daring move for a man that just ground off his daggers....even the Brawny Man! On the other hand, they say bad luck comes in 3s, so you might as well get No. 2 out of the way on the H 14!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • rattlenhumeven the Brawny Man!

What?

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=34913&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • The step hinge is like $25 and pretty easy to modify the mast base to accept it. Did this on my 1973 H16.
    Instructions come with the hinge.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.