Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Batten tension  Bottom

• I finally got my boat together after a dismasting in September.( Torn sails, broken battens, ripped tramp) Not being a very good sailor I never worried about batten tension. Now that I have to put them back in how tight to I tie them? How do I change for wind conditions? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Mostly it's recommended to only "snug up" the battens. You don't want them so loose they move around in the pocket, but don't tighten them like a bow string, that can keep them from popping over on a tack and cause damage to the batten pockets.

If there is something specific for the Nacra 5.2 hopefully the experts will stop by.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • In case you need it, here are the various methods of tying off battens.

http://thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=67242

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • DamonLinkousMostly it's recommended to only "snug up" the battens. You don't want them so loose they move around in the pocket, but don't tighten them like a bow string, that can keep them from popping over on a tack

Tight enough that there is no longer any wrinkles in the batten pockets but you can still get the batten to pop with your hands after you tied it.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Basically what you are looking for is 2 settings.
    #1 For light and heavy winds-Tension the battens just enough to remove the wrinkles in each batten pocket. Yes the setting is the same for light and heavy winds.

#2 The POWER UP setting-Stuff the battens in snugly, this will increase the camber and move the draft forward. Less down haul and less out haul

There is a detailed approach to insure a smooth sail shape with the 2 above settings, Down haul, out haul mast rake and sheet tension will come into play.

#1 light wind- More down haul, out haul and batten tension will give you more sail area, heavy wind, same setting will produce a flat sail shape which will get the wind off the main sail quicker

#2 This setting I like to use when the wind is moderate and bumpy sloppy seas, it allows the wind to stay on the sail longer which helps power through those sloppy sea state
  • I have a different take on battens:

semi-snug and wrinkle free for med & heavy air

very snug in light air. This will force more shape to your sail. You may need to work your sail a bit when tacking in extremely light air like 2 or 3 knots (grab the boom and "whip" the battens into the correct side of the sail)

It is also a good idea to untie any snug battens during storage.
  • All the experts dissagree with snug in light air. I have read many articles on this subject and all say to just take the wrinkles out with batten tension, lots of down haul and out haul to create a very flat sail
    MN3I have a different take on battens:

semi-snug and wrinkle free for med & heavy air

very snug in light air. This will force more shape to your sail. You may need to work your sail a bit when tacking in extremely light air like 2 or 3 knots (grab the boom and "whip" the battens into the correct side of the sail)

It is also a good idea to untie any snug battens during storage.
  • why would you want a flat sail in light air?
  • MN3: I agree with your take on sail shape. I would assume that a larger camber would create more lift in a lighter air.

I have a better plan...Don't sail in light air. Small craft advisories are much more fun.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • MN3why would you want a flat sail in light air?

In very light air, like under 6 mph, the theory is that the flatter shape "holds" the flow on the outside of the sail all the way to the leach. With a big curve in super light air the flow breaks off at the peak of the curve.

Phil Berman made the point in "Catamaran Sailing From Start to Finish" on page 140.

He also mentioned that this mainly works in flat water, since chop will mean you need more power, which you can't get, which is why light air and chop is kind of a drag. icon_cool

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I sail every weekend, and want to sail better in every condition
    QuoteI have a better plan...Don't sail in light air. Small craft advisories are much more fun.
  • QuoteIn very light air, like under 6 mph, the theory is that the flatter shape "holds" the flow on the outside of the sail all the way to the leach. With a big curve in super light air the flow breaks off at the peak of the curve.

Phil Berman made the point in "Catamaran Sailing From Start to Finish" on page 140.

I still have outhaul, downhaul, & mainsheet controlling the shape of my sail, i am talking about micro tuning with slight changes in batten pressure...

also .. i sail a modern sail plan and more modern mast than Phil wrote about

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.