Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Big delamination problem, need options and ideas  Bottom

• Ok at this point I should just scrap this hull, but I just have too damn much time in it to throw it away. I should have seen this problem last year but I focused on the decks. The decks had some soft spots but nothing real bad.

Well I have on the stbd hull inboard side from 8 inches back to about 10 inches infront of the fwd cross beam a very bad section the skin has completely pulled away from the core. My vacuum pump is no where near large enough to cover this kind of "blind" repair.

So do I cut the deck, drill and fill the hull then press the inner core out to the hull skin?

Or to I cut the hull, skin and core, repair in a vacuum press, then reinstall in the hull?

Or do I run 1 x 4 wood stringers inside the hull drill and fill then screw the skin to the core then to the wood to cure?

What other options are there - other then new hulls?

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • I would pick option 2 if you have the skill set, which it sounds like you do. Curious what others have to say, built quite a few boats myself.
  • Can you look inside your port and see if the inner skin is cracked?
  • No cracks, I looked in with a camera and no "crunch" sound, just a drum sound when I press on it.

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • Sounds like landfill time to me. Sailing on hulls this badly delaminated (even if repaired) is a bit like 'russian roulette' one day the bullet is going to be in the chamber.

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --
  • Well I have the vacuum bag ready I think I will cut that piece of hull out today, I will take pics of the entire process. I am not sure how long I will get on a repair like this.

I will monitor the hull for any cracks or strange sounds, hopefully I will see some sort of warning before total failure, I know fat chance. But we sailed her last summer very hard on that stbd hull with all the soft spots with about 400lbs of people on the wing and 200lb on the deck flying a hull, can't believe we didn't bust the bow off!!!! So she should be much better with this repair if I do it right.

The hull is hard and solid at all the deck joints all the way around the boat, I wouldn't even try if that was bad. The inner skin is intact from what I can see on the camera. I think cutting and taking look inside is the best option.

I can tell you this I won't go sailing without another boat again LOL.

If this goes bad, anyone have a good stbd hull they want to sell?? Cheap PLEASE!! I am out of money LOL...

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • Ok I didn't cut it, yet.

I am making a mould of the hull just in case the vacuum tries to flatten out the piece when bonding it together, so I will cut the hull tomorrow after the mould is hard.

I am taking pics of it all so if it works I will post the method for others.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=102376&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by shipchips1 on May 20, 2013 - 02:47 PM.

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • How big of an area are you talking about?
    I would suggest cutting out the whole area and starting over. I would use foam as your backing and shape. I like the expanding spray foam. You can sand it to the exact shape you want. Then lay fiberglass over that. It will be the most stiff part of your boat. I just repaired a whole bunch of holes the same way on the 18sq.
    There are a few pictures of repairs here.
    http://thebeachcats.com/p…5a9358d177d1f8dc5b0d2a8f

--
    Nacra 6.0na.Sail #111
    Nacra 18 Square. Sail #1004
    --
  • I just might start over with a new foam core, once I cut it out and look at it then I will decide.

I will be adding a few more layers of glass on the inside from about two feet forward of the cross beam to about two feet behind after the new hull section is installed. I will do this just for some added insurance.

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • What vacuum process are you talking about?You mean vacuum bagging? Really not necessary on a Hobie. I would brace up the inside of the hull with wood strips or whatever is handy. Cut off the top layer off on the outside being careful not to cut the inner skin. Reinstall new core (you can get foam core on a scrim sheet kinda like tiles. Reglass /gelcoat. Its really not that hard . I know thats the simple explanation but ask if you have any more questions.
    I see the pic now I thought you were talking about an 8"x10" section.

Edited by GenmarStar on May 20, 2013 - 04:07 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.