Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sails: Repair or buy used 2nd set  Bottom

• Last weekend I was out sailing in heavy wind. The zipper on my jib went and the window in my main is starting to crack.

I can either take them to the local sailmaker and have the zipper replaced and a new window installed or buy a slightly used set.

Current sails:
    Both main and jib, GOODALL, were made in 2000. Jib is dacron. Main is Kevlar/Mylar. Repairs will be approximately $350. Other than these two problems they appear to be in remarkbly good condition given their age.

I have a lead on a 2 year old ASHBY main and a 12 year old jib. Jib was never used. Main is a newer style square top. Approximate cost of these two sails is $1000.

What would you do?

--
    Jon -- Dallas, TX
    Taipan 4.9
    --
  • New zipper in San Diego is $60, window about $40. You live in the wrong part of the country. Pete
  • Who is the sailmaker? It may be cheaper to ship the sails for repair.

--
    Jon -- Dallas, TX
    Taipan 4.9
    --
  • Had a zipper and window done about a year ago for $125
    Try Schurr Sails in Pensacola, Florida.
    http://www.schurrsails.com/contact.html

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • sounds like premium rates for your repairs, however a new zipper and window is a few hours of labor (repairs always seem easier in my heads than when we do them)

If you remove your old window and zippers yourself (purchase a $2.00 stitch remover tool from any grocery story) and you could save on about 65% of the labor

BUT

there is nothing better than putting new sails on a boat

if you were ok with $350, why not get new sails (thats about the cost of a new jib) and save the repairs for another time and you will then have a back up sail
  • I have a quote for replacing the zipper of $125. Sailmaker says a significant part of cost is the zipper. I estimated $175 for replacing the window based on other prices posted on the Internet. I then added $50, to fix the "unforeseen" problems. Perhaps I am being a little too conservative.

--
    Jon -- Dallas, TX
    Taipan 4.9
    --
  • Send the sails to Jake. Simon Jakemon, 3661 Camino del Rio South, San Diego, Ca. 92108. He's in E#ngland for 10 days, back on 20th. 619-358-0055. Zippers here are $16-20. Your sailmaker is driving a Mercedes! Shipping $20-25 one way packed in small box (ie flaked & rolled). Pete
  • Update on the sail repairs.

Official quote from local sail loft after looking at the sails.
    Replace Zipper on Jib $85
    Replace window on main $130

I went ahead and had the sails repaired. I figured it is good to support the local sailmaker. You never know when you need a quick repair. Plus I am too lazy to pack up the sails and ship them elsewhere.

--
    Jon -- Dallas, TX
    Taipan 4.9
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.