Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 Traveler Fairlead Rivets  Bottom

• The Fairlead base casting on my 82 Prindle 16 is extremely loose so I thought I should remove the old rivets and replace them. Does anyone know the material and size of the rivets I should use? Has anyone else done this?
  • 3/16" is what the originals were. i re-riveted mine with stainless but they wiggled loose again(old holes had corroded) so i drilled out to 1/4" and riveted with aluminum rivets and she is rock solid. did the same when i replaced the mast base.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I would agree going to 1/4 inch rivets, but I would go to stainless, as that is what the factory used, and if they have held since 1982 that should tell you something.
  • Bill, That is a great idea. I'll try it. I don't like the idea of using SS rivets in aluminum anyway. Thanks
  • i couldn't find stainless 1/4" rivets at my local fastenall store when i was fixing mine but the aluminum ones are plenty strong and no dissimilar metal corrosion happens with the fresh/clean new holes. it takes a heavy duty rivet gun to do, the big daddy.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=102005&g2

Edited by coastrat on Apr 30, 2013 - 09:49 AM.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • If you can find a supplier near you I would get some 1/4 SS rivets, there are quite a few spots on a H16, and a few on other boats that they will wear and elongate the hole, corner castings, upper rudder casting arm, mast base. You will need a larger rivet gun, Harbor Freight used to sell one for about $29. I am not sure if they still do.
  • stainless is what the factory used and there is nothing wrong with 'em. a 3/16" alum. rivet absolutely will not work and when i replaced mine with 3/16" ss the holes were just too far gone... 1/4" alum or ss is so much more beefy that it will do either way...stainless is stronger...

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • b49069Bill, That is a great idea. I'll try it. I don't like the idea of using SS rivets in aluminum anyway. Thanks

Really?
    What is not to like?
    Every catamaran built in the last half century has used stainless rivets in aluminum crossbars, masts and booms.
    Hobie, Prindle, NACRA, SolCat, Mystere, G Cat...

The strength of the SS rivet far overshadows the insignificant amount of corrosion.
    When rivets get loose it is a wear issue, not a corrosion problem- though corrosion does occur once the wear allows salt water or rain to pool there.

Using bigger aluminum rivets like the ones Bill used will hold well in most situations, but be very cautious about using the cheaper, weaker aluminum rivets is any structural situation like the masthound.
    Drilling bigger holes allows a stronger rivet to be used, but the bigger hole will weaken that part to which you are rivetting.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.