Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Professional HIN numbers  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hey guys

How do I put professional looking HIN numbers in my hulls? I don't want to just scratch them in like they were from the factory.

Thanks

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • shipchips1Hey guys

How do I put professional looking HIN numbers in my hulls? I don't want to just scratch them in like they were from the factory.

Thanks

Scratching them in IS the professional way.

Just need a steady hand and an engraving tip on your dremmel tool. They did them that way because of production, no way to know which two hulls would go with the same boat until the boat was being packaged for shipment.

I'm assuming you are doing this because the originals have been glassed over? Need it for registration?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damon is right, just use a dremel tool with an engraving bit (about $4 at your local hardware store.) If you template out the HIN using a sharpie you can engrave a pretty precise badge... probably better looking than the factory. Use a flexible extension on the dremel for better control and less chance of profanity. If your block lettering isn't up to the challenge, just go to the local craft store in a hoodie and sunglasses and buy an appropriately sized alphanumerical stencil sheet to do your layout.

--
    Jeremy Hales
    1974 SOLCAT 18
    Salem, OR
    --
  • You can purchase letter and number set. They come in different material and sizes.
    Check this one for example:
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#metal-stamps/=mftg1e

I will apply strip of gel coat or marine tex in the area where you want HIN# to be in and then press in the numbers. Like Damon said you will need a steady hand.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • I just remember the 1980 P16 we had, had the HIN embossed in the mold on the stbd hull. When I found the H18 I eventually bought I almost didn't buy it because I didn't know about the "scratch" method Hobie used at that time, I thought the boat was "hot".

So I was trying to think of a way to do a good looking HIN, I am doing all this work why not make that look good as well.

Yes I will need the HIN for registration. That is going to be fun, the boat was NEVER registered! And neither was the trailer! S!@# now that I think about it any ideas on that?

Thanks

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • From my experience, (I have the same situation), when purchasing a boat without a title, in-state, it is extremely difficult to get the boat registered in that state. The License Department will suggest you go back to the original owner and get them to re-apply for a title, almost impossible. But there is a loop-hole, if you can get someone out-of-state (preferably a state that does not require boats to be registered) to sell you the boat with a Bill-of-Sale, you can then get the boat registered.

Which brings me to my situation, are there any Beachcat members out there who live in a state that does not require their boats to be registered, who would be willing to sell me my P16?........ icon_biggrin

If so please send me a PM, I desperately need to get a new title for my boat and I can only do that when I get it registered using a Bill-of-Sale.

R
  • I have owned a few Super Cats and the ones that I owned had a HIN plate made of aluminum, similar to a car VIN plate that was riveted to the transom. That may be an easier process and will look professional.
  • mississippi is still wild west...i bought my p16 and trailor from someone with no registration/titles no problem and registered them here. what does lousiana require? might be able to wiggle something...

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Ok next issue on HIN, I am only coming up with 10 digits, I thought HINs had 12.

What I am coming up with is - MH####M810 so is this even close? Or will it even matter?

Thanks

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • Looking at the HIN for Hobies from my club members, an 81 model should have 11 digits and start with CCM.
    Newer boats have 12 digits. Some 79 model boats have 12 with the last being an R for replacement.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • shipchips1Ok next issue on HIN, I am only coming up with 10 digits, I thought HINs had 12.

What I am coming up with is - MH####M810 so is this even close? Or will it even matter?

Thanks

I owned a 1981 Hobie 18 and thought I had a picture of it's HIN but can't find it. Here is how those numbers are created and decoded, yes they are always 12 digits. On Hobies, sometimes the last letter is lighter and harder to see than the rest for some reason. Also, back in the day, sometimes you will see a code -A1 added at the end of the HIN meaning "Second Quality", which I guess meant something was imperfect with the hulls.

Example for a 1981 model Hobie 18.

CCMP8281M81G

CCM = Hobie Cat Company
    P = Hobie 18 (Letter would change for each 9,999 they sold)
    8281 = Sequence number
    M = Model Year
    81 = Model Year Date
    G = month (and year) of manufacture. (G is February of 1981)

To interpret the G at the end note that "A" would be August of 1980 for a model year 1981 boat.

A = AUG
    B = SEP
    C = OCT
    D = NOV
    E = DEC
    F = JAN
    G = FEB
    H = MAR
    I = APR
    J = MAY
    K = JUN
    L = JUL

Boats built after 1984 used the modern numbering system to designate model and manufacture years so the last four digits for a 1987 boat built in November of 1986 would be
    K687
    K = November (they changed the code so A now means January and L means December
    6 = 1986 manufacture year (reads backwards from next to last number)
    87 = Model year

References
    From BoatSafe.com
    http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

From Hobie Cat forum sticky
    http://www.hobiecat.com/f…iewtopic.php?f=18&t=1155

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Ok it is starting to come together, it looks like the CC in the front is gone and the last digit is a D not a 0, but I am confused as to the H.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • shipchips1 I am confused as to the H.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

In the CCMH the H could be a legitimate code for Hobie 18, but I don't know for sure. Can't find a list of model codes used. Anyone know where it is?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • CCM= Coast Catamaran Manufactures
  • shipchips1Ok it is starting to come together, it looks like the CC in the front is gone and the last digit is a D not a 0, but I am confused as to the H.

I checked with Hobie and there were three letters used to designate Hobie 18.
    G, H, and C
    So the H sounds correct.

Sounds like, if you can read the four digit sequence number after the H then you have a complete HIN for the hulls.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Thats great! Thank you for the help. I do have the other 4 numbers, this will be the HIN I use to register the boat. Now it is time to get that started.

Thanks again
    Jim

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • nacra55Looking at the HIN for Hobies from my club members, an 81 model should have 11 digits and start with CCM.
    Newer boats have 12 digits. Some 79 model boats have 12 with the last being an R for replacement.

And FYI, we have had at least two 81 Hobie 18s that started CCMH...

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • HULLFLYERCCM= Coast Catamaran Manufactures

Since this thread will be used as a reference for future HIN discussions, wanted to mention that although all boats manufactured by Hobie have used the manufacture code CCM, they have recently started using HCC.

So if you buy a brand new Wildcat or Hobie 16 it could have the HCC starting letters.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Back to the original question, try a draftsman's lettering template and an electric tool etcher.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • As for the trailer, it may be a lot easier than you think. In North Carolina (which has a super strict DMV in general) you can apply for a "homebuilt trailer ID number." You then have to get the number stamped into the tongue and axle of the trailer (I got mine at Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.…er-stamping-set-800.html and did it myself.) You then have to go to the license and theft division of the Highway Patrol and get them to certify that you have DOT lights, and that the number is stamped. It cost me around $35 for the title application and notary fees and tax, and probably 5 hours of wasted time. I've done it with 2 trailers now with no problems, including one that was purchased out of state with no title or registration.

You probably have some sort of similar process in your state.

Consequently, you could probably apply a fresh strip of gel coat like user "windadict" suggested, and then stamp the number into the hulls with these stamps too.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.