Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.0 newbie questions  Bottom

• Hello cat sailors! I have just purchased my first Nacra cat and have a few basic questions. I purchased locally in Michigan - previous owner posted on this site with user name indyxc. It is a 83' Nacra 5.0 in very rough shape, went against my right brain and bought on emotion. I have started doing some hull restoration - barkeepers friend and a 3M pinstripe remover. I have purchased a new mast base upgrade kit and tramp lacing. All cables are in good condition with no frays. When I pulled the sails out it appears that they are 5.2 sails. Will 5.2 sails work on a 5.0 mast? How can I tell if this mast is for a 5.2 or a 5.0. Indyxc previous postings showed a 5.0 sail so he must have replaced at some point. Do I need to find 5.0 sail? Thanks
  • If the mast has a gooseneck fitting and rotator, it's likely a 5.2. I can look up the length if necessary. The 5.2 sails won't work very well on a 5.0, certainly not on a 5.0 mast (which is about 6" shorter iirc.) 5.0 sail is boomless, 5.2 uses a boom.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • 5.0 has skegs built into the hulls and a loose footed main (no boom), the 5.2 has dagger boards and a boom (and thus a gooseneck).

I think it would be a challenge to get a 5.2 sail to work on a 5.0. Aside from dimensional issues (foot and luff lengths, the way the clew of the sail is attached to the main sheet/boom is quite a bit different. Of course, nothing is impossible with enough time and money...

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Photos?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Thanks for all the responses. All rigging and hulls are stock 5.0. Previous owner is looking for correct sails. He thinks he gave me the wrong set. My mistake for not inspecting when I picked it up. I am sure I will have more questions as the restoration progresses.
  • QuoteI have started doing some hull restoration - barkeepers friend and a 3M pinstripe remover.

Forget about all that. Get the boat rigged, & sail the shyte out of it for the first year, then you will know what needs to be addressed.
    QuotePrevious owner is looking for correct sails.

Get on that & stay on it. Use as much pressure as required. If he has the correct sails, make him cough 'em up. That will simplify your life immensely.
    DO NOT GET HUNG UP ON Restoration just yet! If the boat turns into an expensive education lesson, don't waste any time /$$ trying to build a silk purse from a sows ear. A pretty boat does not sail better.
    I have a 5.0 & a 5.7, they are great boats, one of the best you can buy for a recreational sailor. The boardless, boomless design can't keep up with the newest($$)technology, but it's not like you are 10mph slower. You will kick the can off any Hobie Wave or Getaway, in any wind. You won't beat a newer boat around the buoys, but unless you are hardcore racing, that is not what you will be doing. You will be enjoying one of the best Cats available to the recreational sailor, period.
    I repeat, get the proper sails, then rig it & sail it. Next winter think about what cosmetics it needs.
    As a part time downhill ski instructor, I cannot count the number of times I deal with clients who have all the bling,(and my kids ski all over Whistler, I don't want to see them on the beginner/intermediate hills)but exhibit almost no proficiency at even an intermediate level. People will respect a beater boat that is well sailed. The worst is a polished boat with no skill at the helm.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • get a mast rotator. this is essential to depower it. if is still has the original 4 roller ronstan traveller car, upgrade to the 6 roller ronstan (same track). if it has these done i may be the original owner. you do not need the m,ast step kit, just use a solid rubber bungie as a safety line.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.