Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H18 Rudder Castings - Old Style Upgrade??  Bottom

• Hi, I just bought my 1st cat, a H18 w/ wings. I need to do some repairs, one of which is to fix the rudders. I purchased some good used old style castings thru the classifieds here at the Beachcats.com. Thank you Elias. I have been studying the differences between the new & old style. The main differences that I see are adjustable locking plates (pins), rudder angle adjustment, and plastic versus aluminum cams. My H18 came with one new style rudder castings (upper & lower), and one broken old style. I have some machining skills and will make new plastic cams for the old style castings , and I am thinking about a way to adjust the rudder angle either by means of an adjustable jack plate that the rudder castings would mount on or an eccentric bushing mounted in my rudders to give adjusment. I also found another post about taking up the slack in the castings by using plastic spacer washers, which makes good sense These are just thoughts that I have at the present time. Any thoughts along this line?
    I found a post on the "Do It Yourself Tips" section, dealing with an improvement to the old style castings. There is a lot of good information to be found here. Thank you TheBeachCats.com
    Thanks, Keith

edited by: knedvecki, Apr 06, 2008 - 06:28 PM
  • I just busted an old style H18 lower casting. $500 for the upgrade kit is kinda steep. Any suggestions?dkleymeer@sbcglobal.net
  • Hey Dannyski,
    Hullflyer1, a member of the Beachcats, sold me some good used Old Style Castings, which were what I opted to go with after the sticker shock. He may have some more. icon_confused
    I have not had much chance to use my 18 yet due to all of the recent rain in the Midwest and a lack of spare time in general. Hullflyer1 (Elias) was very helpful with the used castings and rudders. I am going to modify my cam followers to have more bearing surface on the cams so that they should work as good if not better than the new style. After all, it is not Rocket Science, But.... It Will Fly.

Regards,

Keith

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.