Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Do the P16 and P18 have many identical parts?  Bottom

• I've been looking for another p16 since last summer because one of the hulls is delaminated beyond repair (I qttempted to repair), but no luck finding anything decent yet here in Ontario or Quebec. I finally found one not far away but after looking at the photo the owner sent i noticed the presence of diamond wires, which means it must be a P18 not P16. Since I couldn't find a set of decent hulls I figured I'd look for a complete cat and end up with a lot of spare parts but if this is a P18, would there be many shared parts? obviously the mast and sails are bigger, but does anyone know if the trampoline and rudders are a different size too? I wouldn't mind an 18 since we often sail with 3 or even 4 aboard but I'd like to know if I can use anything from the p16. Also, are p18 parts as common as p16?

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • So what happened about that P16 I put you in touch with in northern NY State? Dude you gotta be prepared to drive to get what you need/want.......... icon_rolleyes

The P18 is huge compared to the P16, inter-changeable parts would be the helm, ie rudders, castings, tiller-connector. Tramp is bigger, but other parts like:-
    shroud pin with anchor bar - same
    gudgeons - same
    rudder pins - same
    bow tang with anchor bar and SS screws - same
    mast step casting - same
    traveler car - same
    gooseneck assembly - same
  • PS - The P18 is a great boat and a super-stable platform, don't let the size intimidate you, I've solo'd my P18 in winds up to 20 mph.
  • The cross bars are also the same, you can also use the mast rigging and sails from a 16 on an 18. I think they call it a Prindle escape with that configuration
  • Hey Renovator, nothing happened with that one, unfortunately the guy wouldn't send me any photos. I'm sorry but I'm not willing to drive 10-12 hrs without any idea what I'm going to see. If he didn't want to send photos maybe it's because there's something he didn't want me to see ; )
    How would you rig p16 sails on a p18 mast? The mast is over two feet longer so how would you lock in the halyard cable? Crimp another stop on the cable?

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • Renovator I would be interested in the info for the P16 in NY.

Kasper, you would use the P16 mast,boom and sails on the P18 platform.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Speaking of Prindle cats, here is the link to something that may interest somebody:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/spo/3701468391.html

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • Pete, you will have to ask kasper, I forwarded a CL listing and no longer have that link, sorry.

R
  • The only difference in the two are the hulls, mast, sails and standing rigging, other than that they are the same...

AAMOF the Prindle Escape is the Prindle 18 platform with the Prindle 16 mast and sail plan.. This was mainly for the hotel rental fleets..... FYI

Go get the 18, and when it gets real gnarly rig it with the 16 stuff.. it will still be a great boat

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • To put P-16 sails on P-18 mast, simply add a short pigtail of wire to head of P-16 sail (length is distance between luff of the two sails). Pete
  • Thanks for your help guys. I just lucked out bigtime this weekend...found a Mystere 5.0xl in real nice shape 45minutes away. A bit more money but it's a 2000 with nice modern hull design, mylar sails, furling jib, even trapeze harnesses. I'd been thinking a 5.0xl would be a great cat the family could grow into, but they are harder to find (apparently not as hard as good prindle hulls though). Can't wait to try it out!
    Pete, I tried to find that listing again for you but it's not there anymore.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • cangrats
    that is a great catamaran
  • pbegleTo put P-16 sails on P-18 mast, simply add a short pigtail of wire to head of P-16 sail (length is distance between luff of the two sails). Pete

Pete - have you ever added the pigtail and if so how did you it get it to hook and unhook from the mast hook reliably? I am trying make my P18 an Escape to provide a slower boat when I have my son with me. The pigtail does not seem to provide enough resistance to the ring to allow it to hook up to the mast. The mast hook just pushed the ring around.
  • You can try adding some sail slugs to the pigtail to help keep it rigid, and it would also insure that the sail stays in the sail track. Another approachwould be an alum or ss tube with the sail attached to one end and the shakle and ring to the other. I would think by just adding a pigtail that the force of the wind on the sail could pull the sail out of the track. Keep us posted
  • Have only added a pigtail for a smaller sail on a P-16 mast which we use occssionally here when the girls go out. I understand your problem as I look at my P-18-2 mast this morning. The extra two feet of pigtail allows ring to twist. My mast has twist shackle connected to ring. Perhaps try a straight shackle? Pete
  • The straight shackle was a no go - the pigtail gives zero resistance. Sail slugs were going to be my next try. I did not think about a slug at the sail end of the pigtail though - I think that is a good idea.
  • QuoteTo put P-16 sails on P-18 mast, simply add a short pigtail of wire to head of P-16 sail (length is distance between luff of the two sails). Pete

not trying to be argumentative but, many have tried to turn a ring system into a reef-able mainsail...
    I have yet to see a pigtail working with any reliability in heavy air

The only method i know of that is reliable in all wind conditions use an adjustable halyard (runs up the mast, around a sheave, and cleats somewhere on the mid to lower part of the mast.

This has its own problems. This turns your halyard (normal not used with tension) into a 2:1 system working against (compressing) your mast .. adding lots of loading and unloading, exacerbated by heavy wind...

Edited by MN3 on Apr 02, 2013 - 11:41 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.