Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

adjustable upper castings  Bottom

• on my hobie 16' I bought upper adjustable castings. How do they work with the cams? Does the bar fit under the lip of the cam? if that's the case, how do I lock the slide plate to the weathered position I want?

--
    Ed Lavin
    Time on the water doesn't count on the clock of life
    --
  • There are also some great videos on youtube for Hobie rudder adjustments. I think someone posted a link on this site not to long ago
  • The plate catches in the notch on the cam just like the rolled pin does on non-adjustable castings.

Lock rudder down. Loosen slide plate and, using little force, push it forward as far as possible. Tighten slide plate. Make sure rudder locks down and kicks up properly. (Too far forward....may bind and not lock down. Too far back....may not engage cam/increases tiller load.)

The cams don't like to rotate when doing this "dry" on the trailer. Use some lubricant (white lithium grease, dishwashing soap, etc.) on the cam and plunger. Also....one of those Hobie mysteries.....a rudder that works perfectly on the trailer sometimes won't on the water. Be sure to check for proper on-the water operation before starting a trans-Atlantic crossing or Alter Cup. icon_smile

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Thank you both very much

--
    Ed Lavin
    Time on the water doesn't count on the clock of life
    --
  • rudder tips i remember from my h16 and 18:

get a hobie tool.
    with the hobie tool, you can reset your cam (even on the water) if it has accidentally locked down without the rudder in place. without the tool .. you need to use a large flathead or similar and risk gouging your cam/plunger and is really hard to do on the water.
    http://s4fedb2595338e.img.gostorego.com/802754/cdn/media/s4/fe/db/25/95/33/8e/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/o/hob83103.jpg

a rudder that wont lock down, or release when you hit ground is a bad thing and can take your attention away from sailing (and looking forward)...

i spray my cams with silicon weekly. I don't need to do it every day, but I squirt em each week, or if they got sandy

Edited by MN3 on Mar 21, 2013 - 09:03 AM.
  • The tool works, but to be able to use it you first must drill a 3/16 hole on the flat side of the rudder cam. If you purchase a new tool the instructions should come in the package.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.