Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H18 Halyard Hook  Bottom

• Having some issues with the Main hooking. I think I read somewhere to remove the hook lock piece so just the hook is there.
    Any advice appreciated.
  • Yes, remove the old "flapper" hook cover.

Most of the problems with hooking the H18 main are with technique. Once you get it right you can hook and unhook reliably.

First, since you still have the flapper, do you have the Halyard Ring or are you still using the original halyard shackle?

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/01-4216.jpg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Yes,
    I have the Aussie halyard ring. I'll remove the flapper.
    Thanks
  • Good, with the ring it's important to pre-twist the halyard in the opposite direction of the hook several times before attaching it to the main. That will make the ring want to turn onto the hook rather than away.

Also, make sure the knot is on the mast side of the ring to tilt the top of the ring toward the hook.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I found that out when "lawn sailing" putting up the main. The knot direction is quite important. I'll try the halyard twist too. How are you liking the square top sail?

Dan
  • Thread Hijack Alert!! icon_evil

The Pentex Squaretop main from http://www.whirlwindsails.com is really powerful. With the weight of the wings plus me being one of your larger (6' 7" - 230) beachcat sailors I had really never known what it felt like to have to "depower" a rig untill I got the squaretop.

Now that I've upgraded my downhaul to the 8:1 type that the big boys use (Thanks KeySailing.com!) I have the control I need over the sail.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.