Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Main sheet recommendation H16  Bottom

• I searched through the forums and noticed one thread where a poster indicated he uses a larger main sheet on his boat. I am looking for recommendations on main sheet size. I believe the larger the line the better as it will be more comfortable on the hands. However, I know that my Jib blocks will not accommodate the next size up from Hobie recommended 5/16.

3/8 spun Dacron is the recommended main sheet in the Hobie catalog.

I have an 07 H16 with the Harken 6:1 low profile blocks. Will a larger size line fit in these blocks? Will it work in the traveler (i have plenty of smaller line as I am replacing a 5/16 main sheet installed by the previous owner or the rental company that sold to him).

If so, any recommendations on size and material type, and where to buy?

Thanks

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • I bought several size lines on here and all are VERY well made, high strength, very low stretch and feel good on bare hands. Great prices too!

http://www.mountainsports.com/MSmain.asp?Option=List&Cat=60&Sub1=60&ShowImages=Yes

Edited by fxloop on Mar 05, 2013 - 06:48 PM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Go with nicer line instead of bigger line. 5/16" salsa or phd work just fine for mainsheets. Don't go above 3/8"

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Go with the thinner line 5/16. It will pay out quicker, and that is what you want when you are sheeting out in a puff. It may prevent a capsize.
  • For the main on a H 16 I prefer a 3/8 line and I always use trophy braid, it is so much easier on the hands. It will be replaced a little more often but if you reverse it about mid way through the life you can a lot of years out of it.

I personally do not like much of the more modern lines, they are too abrasive, I have trophy on all my sheets on both boats. For halyard etc, I do not care, I get what is best, as is small and strong. I just prefer the soft stuff on the sheets. JMHO, YMMV. Ricardo

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • I like Dyneema Blended Single Braids

I LOVE robline racing sheet for main a spin (not jib as it is too light to snap the line out of the blocks)
    it is very soft on the hands, low stretch, doesn't retain water
    drawback - fuzzy (sticks to velcro on gloves) and more expensive than other lines

also great is Salsa and swiftcord
  • MN3I LOVE robline racing sheet for main a spin (not jib as it is too light to snap the line out of the blocks)

I totally agree regarding the jib sheet. What are you using in place of the robline for the jib sheet? Mine is a pain in the arse to snap out of the blocks when sheeted in hard.

Thanks,
    Jimmy

--
    -------------------------------------------
    1983 Nacra 5.0 Sail #10
    Dallas, Texas area
    -------------------------------------------
    --
  • QuoteWhat are you using in place of the robline for the jib sheet?

standard xls Polyester Double Braid
  • this is what my son has on his 16 w/ Harken 6:1

Sta-Set Polyester Yacht Braid 3/8

Edited by CatsailorMike on Mar 06, 2013 - 08:40 AM.

--
    Mike Conway
    H16
    Hilton, NY
    --
  • The 3/8" shouldn't be too hard on the hands with a 6:1 if it's a decent line. I'm fairly certain that you won't be happy with the performance of anything larger......won't run through blocks well. I've been using 3/8" Sta-Set for years, and it's a good line for the price. However, in an effort to get even better performance, I'm trying some 5/16" (not sure of brand/type) for the first time this season. I do have concerns about the grip on windy days when I have to cleat and uncleat a lot.....we'll see how it goes.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • rattlenhum I'm trying some 5/16" (not sure of brand/type) for the first time this season. I do have concerns about the grip on windy days when I have to cleat and uncleat a lot.....we'll see how it goes.

MaxiBraid Plus - Yale

http://www.apsltd.com/c-1…maxibraid-plus-yale.aspx

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks, Ron. I didn't really need to know 'cause I have full faith in my line "dealer." Sucks that I haven't even had a chance to try it out, though....maybe tomorrow!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.