Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

has anyone seen this boat?  Bottom

• http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/23932

I plan to go pick this baby up, pretty psyched about it. I have a '79 hobie 16 and looking forward to my 2nd season, I plan to master this boat and get on the big cat by the mid-end of the summer. It seems like a good deal and its a long trip form NYC. The guy sent me a bunch of pictures and I have some concerns about the hulls. There are 2 ports on the starboard hull. I have to replace them. Another issue is that the paint is worn out on the bottom. the guy told me that there aren't any soft spots but after 2500 mile drive, gee that would suck if there were. I know that chances are this is too much boat to handle right now so if any of you guys are local to me and wanna teach me so sail the miracle, I'm down. if anyone has seen this boat and know its a pos, let me know before I head west.
    If I do get the boat, I plan to strip the hulls. I've been reading the forums like its my job. has anyone done any soda blasting on a cat?

Ed
    the green horn stoked sailing surfer

--
    Ed Lavin
    Time on the water doesn't count on the clock of life
    --
  • save your self the drive and pick up an f18 instead.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…05-2002-hobie-tiger.html
  • How about this one, much closer...

http://www.hobiecat.com/f…iewtopic.php?f=7&t=46263

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • If there are 2 inspection ports in one hull it is a bad sign. On a Hobie 16 there should be no ports, any port normally means that a repair has been done, normally a collasped pylon or worse. I would avoid this boat.
  • What a bust it would be to get that boat, drive it home, rig it ... only to find a catastrophic issue.
    IMHO - save your time and gas money and find a local boat you can see, touch, and rig before you purchase it.

PS why do you NEED to go from a 16 to a 20?, not that it's impossible to handle but it is like going from a moped to a ninja.

If you are not confident with your skills on a 16, a 20 is a LOT more power and controls to master.

Perhaps a H18 is a wiser jump? Bigger boat, more sail area, more sail control (furling jib, more powerful downhaul and rotator limiter) without lines all over your cat (4 way jib adjuster really does clutter up the deck) and you can even find an h18 with wings and turn your cat into a party barge...
  • ditto what they all said. and find a boat that's kind of like what others are sailing... with the quantum leap from a H16 to an F-18 or Miracle.. you'll need some help... folks around here always loaning/trading spare parts, etc... get something you can grow into, but near home. Usually paint covers something up (repairs) and adds unnecessary weight... (how much does a quart of good poly paint weigh?) better to just buff the gelcoat IMHO.

That said I took a 10 hour drive once to buy a Hobie 18 and walked away from it 'cause the hulls were soft. (I think the guy really didn't know anything about boats, actually...) Short term loss, long term gain, better a 20 hour round trip than a boat that's not up to what you plan on giving it... and I'd rather be a sailor than a boat repair man.

Edited by robpatt on Feb 12, 2013 - 08:08 AM.
  • I was kind of short in my reply earlier, but you want at least 350lbs crew weight all the time on your bigger boats (n6.0, h20, p19,etc) especially when they have the big sail plans like the h20, p19MX, and n6.0NA I did the same thing you did and bought the fastest boat i could afford. Now, two years later i'm trying to find something much smaller and will take a pretty big hit when i sell my boat(anyone want a p19?)
  • matt922(anyone want a p19?)

Matt, does your MX have the rounded rudders and extended gudgeons?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhald
    matt922(anyone want a p19?)

Matt, does your MX have the rounded rudders and extended gudgeons?

yessir, has all mx hardware. Pm sent your way.
  • Guys, thank you very much. I'll just sink a little extra money into the 16, get a new tramp and get some time on that boat before I get another. That f-18 looks sick though.
    as far as the Herber springs boat, he has 2 sets of sails, harnesses, tons of spare parts, all new halyards, and high end sheet. The tramp has about 5 years left in it. The trailer and boat is registered and he would probably let it go for around 2-3k. I have a ton of pictures he sent, so I'm glad to send them. just send me your personal email and I'll send it right to you.

--
    Ed Lavin
    Time on the water doesn't count on the clock of life
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.