Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Canadian sailors here?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hi, I was just curious how many Canadian sailors frequent this site? There are many posts from the US and abroad but I don't see much mention of people sailing in Canada, which surprises me given the uncountable number of lakes and rivers we have, not to mention the Great Lakes! I live/sail on Lac St Francois which is a very wide part of the St Lawrence River between Quebec and Ontario...anyone else here sail this lake? I see a few other cats out there during the summer but don't know the owners.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • Ok, guys, where are you? I know we have a bunch of Canuck's on here, must be busy shoveling snow or preparing for Boxing Day. icon_biggrin

Over 6% of the visits to the site are from Canada.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Well the thing is , is that are sailing season is so short we don,t have much spare time....but now that it is hibernation season I,m sure you will hear from more of us !!!!

Happy Holidays
  • Tons of snow here in central BC -- I have 1 ft. of new snow in my backyard already. It is skiing season in full swing here.

Happy holidays.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • manitoba eh ;)

--
    Nacra 5.7
    Falcon Lake Manitoba
    Canada
    --
  • Hi, I am a Canadian sailor - hanging out in Virginia where the Bay is in the 80s throughout the summer and descends to 45-50 over the winter...I plan to bring my boat up to Canada in a few years where I will sail on Lac Deschênes (Ottawa River) from the Aylmer Marina which has a Beach Cat storage and launch site; and from my fishing camp at Lac Mamphremagog - although the water is a bit cold there. After I make the move back to the Great White North will try to determine whether I will haul the boat south to Florida every winter or buy another and store it there. I found a nice little marina in Gulfport, near Tampa which also has a storage and launch site with reasonable rates. Anyway, if your in the Tidewater area anytime soon look us up on Fleet 32 on facebook or Yahoo.

--
    Virginiasailor
    Prindle 15
    --
  • Sorry, been out of contact for a few weeks. I'm from Manitoba also. Sitting under 3 ft of snow and -25C temps right now. Hoping to get a few people together next season now that there are a couple of us on here! Need to grow the community on the prairies so pass the word!

Also if you have or need spares to keep your old boats going make sure you ask. A few of us have been swapping parts back and forth for years.

Edited by Wolfman on Dec 22, 2012 - 01:40 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Well, the replies are trickling in...there'd probably be more if I had posted this at a time other than just before xmas. I know there's a lot of cat sailors in Quebec but not sure how many would be on an english website like this one. Let's keep the post active and see who else joins in.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • We keep a couple of Nacra's on Lake Simcoe. No ice, but to damn cold to sail now. Ski season is now on. There are a few Cat Clubs on Lake Ontario. There are some serious folk in Quebec, check Kijiji, you will see a Miracle 20, & several Tigers, along with Mystere 6.0 for sale.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I own a cottage in Ottawa Valley and sail an old model mystere 5.0. named the boat Catastrophe. We enjoy a friendly race every year icon_cool . I think there is 15+ Cats on the Lake
    http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/windsurfingsteve/sailing/bth_goingfast_zps1f928a9c.jpg?t=1356528886
    http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/windsurfingsteve/sailing/bth_cid_15C81A68-8D95-4380-9272-FF982C7D321E_zps83ce95d3.jpg?t=1356536395
    Steve Kopeschny
    St.Catharines,Ontario,Canada
    skopeschny@cogeco.ca

Looking to buy a Tornado or Mystere 6.0 xl

Edited by windsurfingsteve on Dec 26, 2012 - 09:41 AM.

--
    Catastrophe-1980 mystere 5.0
    Steve Kopeschny
    skopeschny@cogeco.ca
    Interested in buying a Tornado or Mystere 6.0XL
    --
  • QuoteLooking to buy a Tornado or Mystere 6.0 xl

Keep an eye on Kijiji, set it for all of Quebec. There were 2 Mystere 6.0 for sale there last fall. If the ad is in French, use Google Translate.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Boats in Quebec tend to be more expensive than Ontario.. Right now in Ontario there are a couple good F18s for sale.. a 2005 Nacra and a 2010 Infusion.. The F18 class is strong and some are buying F18s for the cottage because its such a great boat to sail.

The 2 main web sites to go to for info are: www.cat-alist.com and www.multihull.ca and the race schedule is posted there.

There are a lot of cat sailors in Ontario and a very active racing fleet. Drop me a line if you want to get involved with racing in Ontario. Its pretty friendly with lots of social events.
    Dave
    www.nacra.ca
  • QuoteInterested in buying a Tornado or Mystere 6.0XL

Edchris is right, most Mysteres are in Quebec, since they were made in Pointe Calumet QC (just outside Montreal). They have a website for the company and the cat sailing club (ecole de voile Sansoucy): www.ecoledevoilesansoucy.com. I noticed lately they appear to be getting back in the boat-building business, check out their new model the Espadon on the site...very cool looking cat! If you contact them they often have used cats for sale or know some club member who is selling.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • i live in montreal and recently bot an older hobie 14. im just about to get it in sailing condition. where is the best place to launch near montreal?
    thanks
    jon

--
    FOILCAT
    --
  • Club de voile Sansoucy in Pointe Calumet is a good access point for Lac des Deux Montagnes, also a place that you can store your cat for a seasonal fee. If you don't mind driving an hour west, Lac St Francois (lake St Francis) has great wind and clean water, and can be accessed from several places between Coteau du Lac, QC and Lancaster, ON. This is where i live and sail. Sailed 20-50kmh winds last saturday. If you're into camping you can go to Glengarry park near Lancaster, there's a beach and a boat launch.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • I'm in Cranbrook, BC which is the south east corner of BC, pretty much in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. I think I'm pretty much alone in this part of the world, at least for forum members, possibly cat sailors too.

--
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    SuperCat 17
    --
  • Vintage, we used to spend our summers in the Kootenies, had cousins in Cranbrook, Dad had a ranch near Waterton National Park.
    Spent many days as a kid camping in Gyro Park, remember that huge pool?
    Where do you sail there, I remember the lakes (Wasa, Jim Smith) being pretty small. Koocanusa,(Kootenay,Canada,USA) is big, but I never saw any sort of sailboat there. Further down, Moyie was warm, but closed in by mountains would make for screwy wind.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Quote'm in Cranbrook, BC which is the south east corner of BC, pretty much in the heart of the Rocky Mountains.

Any good winds in Cranbrook? I am located in Salmon Arm, 5 min to a lake, but winds are usually lite.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • kasperClub de voile Sansoucy in Pointe Calumet is a good access point for Lac des Deux Montagnes, also a place that you can store your cat for a seasonal fee.

there must be a 100 cats in all stages of live and death stored there at Sansoucy, at 600$ a season/cat thats pretty pricy and a good source of income for them. gotta pay to store your trailer there as well. 30$/day for use of the launching beach. they say that they dont have a boat ramp per se. lots of mystere cats stored there, some for sale. wonder why some boats are on the other side of the fence. appears to be same property. did they not pay the pricy fee and soon a bill built up that was greater than they wanted to pay/more than the cat was worth? i see that in other boat yards, any ideas?

however just down the road there is a municipal (?) boat ramp that appears to be free, and a small beach for changing crew/passangers, next to what appears to be a private beach, also with cats stored on the beach. no place to park car with trailer, but a short hike to the baseball/soccer/hockey field has good free parking. the reason i say that the ramp appears to be free, is that it contrasts with the neighboring town (sainte-marthe de lac) whose boat ramps have signs saying only for residents of sainte-marthe. the cops can easily pull my residence from my license plate and ticket me. dont want to risk that again like i did once with my old penguin "Jorney".

for mystere cats, check not only kijiji, but the quebec favorite before kijiji, lespac.com - two for sale right now asking 10g and 7200$, one just sold. also check the ads at the sansoucy site -
    http://ecoledevoilesansoucy.com/annonces.php if you dont speak french, dont be afraid to call, many montreal residents speak english somewhat, and there is a large english community in nearby deux montagnes. if youre still afraid to try but want to know about a boat, PM me and ill give them a jingle. where there is a will there is a way!

i paid 200$ for my hobie 14T including trailer, broken rudders, dirty everything, and rotten sail, so those mystere cats look really expensive to me. rudders repaired, everything cleaned, trailer modded to my specs, a duck taped sail, and im almost ready to get it wet, nice weather this week as well. gotta figure out how to use the roller furling jib tho, any advice? anybody got a good condition hobie 14 main? a starboard frame rail.

--
    FOILCAT
    --
  • Quotethere must be a 100 cats in all stages of live and death stored there at Sansoucy, at 600$ a season/cat thats pretty pricy

If you're looking for FREE access near Montreal, i wish you luck...try Glengarry park down my way like i mentioned, just pay a day-use park fee. Not much is free. I have "free" access/launching, but i had to buy waterfront property to get it! icon_wink

Quotei paid 200$ for my hobie 14T including trailer, broken rudders, dirty everything, and rotten sail, so those mystere cats look really expensive to me.

I did the same...bought a "cheap" old Prindle that lasted three seasons and ended up buying the 2000 Mystere after (got a great deal on it though). Sometimes the cheaper boat ends up being the more expensive one in the long run. Anyone need P16 parts? icon_wink

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.