Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

5mm wetsuits for Vancouver Canada all year?  Bottom

• Hi All,
    I'm about to get a couple of 5/4mm wetsuits so that my partner and I can sail to some of the gulf islands around Victoria. We chose 5/4mm because it is what the surfers use here, especially in fall/winter/spring. We figured that the same would be necessary in case we should capsize and break something when far from help.

Cell phone coverage is good where we are going, and perhaps we will get a hand held VHF w/ GPS too.

Do you think we are playing it safe enough with these suits, our outer layers, windbreakers, hats, PFDs, and cell phone (or VHF)? Will we be too warm in the spring with the suits?
  • What water temps will you be dealing with? Much more expensive but you will be far safer in a dry suit depending on the
    water temps. Personally I find the 4/5mm suits to be restrictive and uncomfortable for extended times. The heavy suits will
    be very hot in the spring with the sun on you, but you can always get the suit wet to help cool you down. My two cents.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • With water temperature 10-5C and air down close to zero, your 4/5 wetsuit will be grossly inadequate. Go with a drysuit with extra layers. Surfing is much more physical activity and close to beach is a much safer environment.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • I took your advice Jack. Just ordered two Kokatat dry suits from nrs.
  • smart move
    warm and dry beats wet and somewhat-warm every time!
  • Good choice on the drysuit. There have been lots of discussions regarding safety gear, search for those and get some basic gear. Knife, VHF in your life jacket. Strobe light etc depending on where you are sailing. Most if all know you abilities and conditions, and go have fun.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • MEC is my favorite BC store for the outdoor gear. You may want to check out their water boots, gloves, headwear, and the layers.

http://images.mec.ca/fluid/customers/c822/5021-651/generated/5021-651_BK000_view1_390x390.jpg

http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp

I like to put extra attention on the most external parts of my body: hands, feet, and the head. They tend to get cold first.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • Yeah mec for sure. Although, getting dry suits from NRS saved us like $300 on each one. That's the main thing we needed to get started. We can learn which parts get cold by making a couple of small trips... I just wanted to mitigate the risk of dying before ever going on the ocean :p.
  • A quick note about drysuits. Make sure you treat all latex seals with silicone sealer (Seal Saver for example) at least twice a year. It is shocking how quickly latex rubber deteriorates when not sealed correctly. Also, seal both the inside and outside of your latex parts.
    Stay warm!
  • ericwellerA quick note about drysuits. Make sure you treat all latex seals with silicone sealer (Seal Saver for example) at least twice a year. It is shocking how quickly latex rubber deteriorates when not sealed correctly. Also, seal both the inside and outside of your latex parts.

Amen.
    This summer I replaced 10 latex seals on drysuits.
    Neither cheap nor easy.
    I now store them inside the house, not in the garage.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • my new drypants / bib came with care instructions stating the best thing for gaskets is 303 protectant a few times a season and before storage (or during extended storage).

klozhald
    ericwellerA quick note about drysuits. Make sure you treat all latex seals with silicone sealer (Seal Saver for example) at least twice a year. It is shocking how quickly latex rubber deteriorates when not sealed correctly. Also, seal both the inside and outside of your latex parts.

Amen.
    This summer I replaced 10 latex seals on drysuits.
    Neither cheap nor easy.
    I now store them inside the house, not in the garage.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.