Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Looking for Nacra 5.7  Bottom

• After passing on oportunity to buy Nacra 5.7 from the east coast I still can't shake that boat out of my mind and I am going crazy trying to find another one. In the past, you guys were very helpfull finding boats for other desperate sailors. Can you help me? Have you heard of one for sale or somebody contemplating future sale? Please let me know 773-575-5515.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • Sorry it didn't turn out better. That boat was a bit of a disaster. I'll keep an eye open, but it may be a bit of a trip for you. It's worth it. By far the best boat I have ever seen or owned. Don't pass up a 5.0 if it presents itself.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • WolfmanSorry it didn't turn out better. That boat was a bit of a disaster. I'll keep an eye open, but it may be a bit of a trip for you. It's worth it. By far the best boat I have ever seen or owned. Don't pass up a 5.0 if it presents itself.

Yes, it was too risky to go 800 miles just to find out that the boat has more problems that will take more skills and effort to fix it. icon_eek
    How differnet is the performance of 5.0 from 5.7 concidering:
    1. Sailing in 15 - 25knt gusty wind
    2. Sailing with 190lbs crew + 180 lbs of myself
    3. Sailing in 4 to 6 ft short waves as we have them on Lake Michigan

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • Did you see this ad, or was that the disaster boat?

http://www.reachoo.com/ad…9702797?utm_source=yakaz

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • "Did you see this ad, or was that the disaster boat?"

Yes, that's the one. It is doable to fix it but a little too much for my abilities and available time. However it may be a good boat for somebody who knows what he is doing.
    Since then I did a little reserch and followed Dave's suggestion looking at N5.0 which may be a better choice for my type of sailing. I basically sail myself 90% of time, I like the trill of sailing in 20+ knots with waves 4-6 ft. I sailed solo in 18 to 20kts on my rebuilt SolCat 18 and if I can do the same or more on 5.0 would be great.

EdChris I see that you have both N5.7 and N5.0 can address those questions I have listed in my previous post?
    Thanks in advance.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • You will enjoy both boats, Nacraman57 also has both the 5.7 & 5.0. IIRC he unequivocally endorses the 5.7.
    I tend to lean that way also, with a couple of caveats. If you didn't have much Cat experience, I would not recommend the 5.7, especially in 20+kts, it is a handful solo. However;
    QuoteHow differnet is the performance of 5.0 from 5.7 concidering:

(1) 15 kts, they are both fun, 20 kts-you better be paying attention. 25kts-the fun is ending quickly, if it is blowing a true 25kts (29mph) you are mostly in survival mode. Remove the jib, honk everything on the main, but you are still going to be pointing & probably going swimming in a gybe. The extra 5 kts doesn't sound like much on paper, but the problems increase logarithmically.
    Quote Sailing with 190lbs crew + 180 lbs of myself

The 5.7 wins with those weights, but not by a lot. We sail with 172lb & 180 lbs. The 5.0 has enough buoyancy to handle that weight, & is quite resistant to pitchpole. The longer 5.7 seems to ride smoother, but is not quite as quick to answer the helm. The better sailor on a 5.0 will catch a less experienced man sailing the 5.7. The max I have recorded,(GPS) on the 5.7 is 21.3 mph, the best on the 5.0 is 20 mph, BUT, I have only had the GPS on the 5.0 a few times, I think the real difference is around 1 mph. We swapped boats one day, & I was whipping the 5.0 as hard as she would go in measured winds of 18-20mph. On a broad reach she wanted to lift her tail a couple of times, but it always came back down. The GPS was on the 5.7, maxed out at 21mph & my buddy claimed he was "catching me". I dispute that, & he flipped so I win the race & the argument!
    QuoteSailing in 4 to 6 ft short waves as we have them on Lake Michigan

I don't have any real experience with those conditions, the shore I'm on only has a fetch of 2 miles, protected by a long point. Once you get out in the open chuck the waves are not as short. I once rounded an Island that serves to funnel the waves during a south blow, & ran into 4' steeps. They damned near washed me off the boat at times. I was quite concerned as I was close to a rocky lee shore. I was in no real danger, but I would have lost the boat had I flipped. I managed to point just high enough to clear the tip of the Island, this on the 5.7.
    You mention that you solo the 18' SolCat, so you know what power is available, the 5.7 is only marginally bigger. It is hard to pick a hands down winner when solo. I solo the 5.7 90% of the time, you can fly a hull in 10mph, but the 5.0 is just as much fun, & the speed differential is not noticeable unless you have a GPS.
    The 5.7 mast is longer, & the boat is heavier, maybe important if you set up solo, but no issue with a buddy.
    If you generally sail 2 up, I would go with the 5.7, the tramp is quite a bit larger, & 2 up allows you to harness more of the available power, along with a better ride when it gets rough.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Adam,
    I felt your pain for a couple months.
    I watched Search Tempest, this site and another. Use a high level of skepticism when viewing anything on Craig's List. I found a nice looking 570 that was a scam there.
    You are asking the right crew here for help. These guys are the best.
    I drove 800 miles and did a 23 hour day getting mine. I'll let you know in about about 7 months if I did ok. I'm still getting her in shape.
    Best of luck in your endeavor.

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.