Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

which boat to buy 16 vs 18 / hobie vs prindle  Bottom

• I have not sailed before but I have been very involved with the beach life, swimming, snorkling, water sking. but never sailing untill this past year on my friends boat and I have the bug now.
    1. I am 230lbs, my wife 130lbs and we plan on using the boat together and or with my son who is 175lbs.
    2. I would like to have the ability to use the boat by myself in the future as I become more experienced at sailing.
    3. the boat will be mostly used in the Chaoctawhatchee Bay, Destin or Niceville Florida. I also with experience I would like to take it out in the Gulf if possible.
    4. I would like also to at time take relaxing rides with friends, a total of 4 persons.
    5. Finally, I am not sure what the capabilities of either of these boats although I have been reading up and can't find a good answer. I am 42 and need some excitement in my life that is not going to put physical harm to my body such as hockey did to my knees and and how football did to my shoulders. I think that this is an interesting sport and also a good oportunity for family time so I need some answers what boat would be best.
    6. To first enter into this sport I have been looking at a hobie 18 I found for $1500.00 but it is a early 1980's and I am not sure if I am looking at a lemon or a good starter to learn on or maybe something that is out of my capabilities. Well thank you in advance for your response.
  • roynruth1. I am 230lbs, my wife 130lbs and we plan on using the boat together and or with my son who is 175lbs.

16's are out
    roynruth2. I would like to have the ability to use the boat by myself in the future as I become more experienced at sailing.

either 18 is fine solo
    roynruth3. the boat will be mostly used in the Chaoctawhatchee Bay, Destin or Niceville Florida. I also with experience I would like to take it out in the Gulf if possible.

either 18 is fine
    roynruth4. I would like also to at time take relaxing rides with friends, a total of 4 persons.

4 adults on an 18? only with wings (h18), even on a 20' cat.. thats a lot of weight & bodies.
    I have done when i owned my h18 (sans wings) ... too much weight and we had no room for gear. Plus the skipper needs to be able to switch from port to starbord EVERY tack...
    roynruth5. Finally, I am not sure what the capabilities of either of these boats although I have been reading up and can't find a good answer. I am 42 and need some excitement in my life that is not going to put physical harm to my body such as hockey did to my knees and and how football did to my shoulders. I think that this is an interesting sport and also a good oportunity for family time so I need some answers what boat would be best.

catamarans provide every level of excitement.
    light air means slow and safe speeds & heavy air is = speed (the fastest 20mph you will ever feel), hull flying, spray in the face and white knuckles.

The risk of injury is = to your ability, weather conditions and gear.

the biggest risks of the new/recreational sailor is .. being hit in the head with the boom, a "shark bite" during a capsize (tangle with the shroud wire, or other part of the boat while falling 4 or 5' into the water), sunburn, and dropping a mast while learning how to step it

roynruth6. To first enter into this sport I have been looking at a hobie 18 I found for $1500.00 but it is a early 1980's and I am not sure if I am looking at a lemon or a good starter to learn on or maybe something that is out of my capabilities. Well thank you in advance for your response.

Take a few lessons.. .an 18 should be fine

Suggestions to get your feet wet:
    visit your local fleets, and sailing centers, ask about boats, ask about races, ask to crew, etc
  • Quote4 adults on an 18? only with wings (h18), even on a 20' cat.. thats a lot of weight & bodies.
    I have done when i owned my h18 (sans wings) ... too much weight and we had no room for gear. Plus the skipper needs to be able to switch from port to starbord EVERY tack...

When we go out for a fun sail with a bunch of people on board we don't bother switching sides, just hand the stick and sheet to the person on the other side. We call it lazy man or fat man sailing. icon_biggrin

I routinely have four on my h18 with wings. I agree both 18's will do.

Edited by pknapp66 on Nov 08, 2012 - 04:50 PM.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • One issue with singlehanding H18 is difficulty to right it with only one person. I personally would not go ocean sailing on my own, even with add of some righting device. You also have to be a quite experienced and able sailor to handle this 420 lb beast by yourself. Here is more into on H18
    http://www.hobiecat.com/f…ewtopic.php?f=13&t=12780
    http://www.hcana.hobiecla…S___|%2Fc20071%2F9268%2F

Another option is Hobie Getaway. It will carry a crew of 4+, is boomless, easier to single-hand, easier to right, and rig. Downside is less performance and more expensive. This because it is more difficult to find used (and old) one.

I would stick with a cat with wings (H18 or Getaway) if you want to sail with a crew of 3.

Good luck with your shopping and always check for soft spots. icon_cool

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • I've owned two Prindle 18's and found them to be great boats. The P18 will perform great with a crew of two, yet still move decently even with 4 people on board (lots of hull volume). It's a rugged design that will handle the Gulf waters just fine, which is where I typically sailed mine out of the Tampa Bay area. It's a versatile boat with decent performance, and it's available pretty cheap on the used market. You can double trapeze w/ it and have a wild ride on a moderately gusty day.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd make ANY 18 foot catamaran my first sailboat! They do power up in a gust, and things happen pretty quickly if you're not on your game--even for an experienced sailor! Single handing would be the biggest concern, especially trying to right one if you flipped. (Honestly, next to impossible unless your technique is perfect.) What I'd recommend instead is that you either make friends at your local sailing venue and crew on someone else's cat for awhile to learn, or that you start with a smaller boat (catamaran or even a Sunfish or Laser) then sell it and buy an 18 when you've honed your skills. I've always sold my sailboats for the same amount I've purchased them for, so no money is lost--free learning, free ride!!

I wouldn't consider the Getaway due to poor performance issues.

Kevin
  • i used to tell people an 18 is too big as a first boat but the truth is ... it all depends on the skipper. There is little difference on what boat you are on when you get overpowered.. you either adjust for the conditions, or you go for a swim.

I started on an h16 (never really knew how to sail when i owned it) and upgraded to an h18. Thats where i really learned to sail a cat.. that being said.. the h18 has more lines, adjusters and gadgets to learn, boards and a boom that add to the technical skill requirements and should be a consideration. On the pro side - You can furl the jib and depower the H18 (or P18) ,you can't do that on a h16.

if you dont go out to sail above your skills (check your local weather and stay near the shore in questionable days), it could/should be fine.

I started on an h16 (never really knew how to sail when i owned it) and upgraded to an h18. Thats where i really learned to sail a cat

i don't agree that you should start on a small mono dingy... they are a different breed and they sail very differently than a cat and may well turn people off of cat sailing or sailing in general
  • roynruth
    4. I would like also to at time take relaxing rides with friends, a total of 4 persons.

Your so lucky to live near those waters! Beachcat Paradise.

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com, come back often and keep us up to date on your sailing adventures.

Four people on most beachcats gets a little cozy, but wings are a big help. Really adds some real-estate. Also they make it easy to take non-sailing passengers, just put one or two on each wing and sail the boat from the tramp. The passengers don't have to move when you tack, I've even taken my 70's year old non-sailing parents out through the surf with that method.

Picture of four on a Hobie 18
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/data/1/vlcsnap-2012-07-04-23h28m11s15.png

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • "I've even taken my 70's year old non-sailing parents out through the surf with that method."

Took my 75 year old mom sailing on our 21SE in Croatia, first ime aon any kind of cat, 10-15 kts wind, planing the windward hull, probably doing close to 18 knots, and she asks "Can we go faster?" She is a nut and we love her! Got pictures!

Bob
  • Thank everyone with your responses. Well now the question is Hobie 18 or a Prindle 18. I have found both on line for a decent price but are there any particulars that would help me decide such as performance, manageability, maintenance, abailability of parts.
  • you will be thrilled with either one, parts are easy for both, and they can handle the load. i have a p16 and love it but i get wing/envy every now and then...i have a pair of "foot-balled up" knees and if i'm on the tramp for more than 3 or more hours, i get stiff...seeing people sit on the wings looks nice. this will fall under the "best boat for the money" catagory- nicest boat with most stuff wins! good luck!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • For your purposes a hobie 18 with wings is the best bet. If it is between an h18 without wings and a P18
    I would go with the Prindle. Better rudder system and a lighter easier boat to handle on the beach. Parts for each are available.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • by a N.A.C.R.A. ................ Enough said !!!
  • I have not been able to find a used N.A.C.R.A. for sale, anyone know where I can find them to finish my research. I have seen them on your tube and seem really nice but what are the prices like being that is an important peace of my research and this will be my first purchase of a catamaran.
  • I have a Nacra and a Hobie 18 get the Hobie 18 with wings is fine. I personally do not like them but they do add real estate. The only downside of the 18 in shallow waters is the boards.

I have a buddy in FL with a Getaway and I would spend the extra to get one. They are super simple to sail and will take four people and can be sailed solo. JMHO, YMMV, Richard.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • DamonLinkousI've even taken my 70's year old non-sailing parents out through the surf with that method.

Very cool.
    My Grandma crewed for me in two Spring Series Races at the lake when she was 74 years old. When we tacked or gybed, she would lay down and roll to the other side of my P16. Managed to keep the jib sheet in her hand the whole time too. Second race was S-ABC-AC-ABC-AC-F. Her only complaint was "Lord, Honey, how long is this race?"

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I would go with the prindle 18 no boards and it sails very well with four people. Its lighter then a hobie 18. I have sailed both. I live in the fwb area when get one or want someone to look at them to make sure you dont get a bad boat. 8five0 six12 462six

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.