Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

SuperCat 17  Bottom

• Can anyone tell me about a SuperCat 17? How do they compare with the 16'-18' Hobies, NACRAs, and Prindles?

Thanks, Richard
  • they compare very well

in good condition on a good trailer $2000? for an 80's build

average condition on a poor trailer $1000?

Edited by erice on Nov 08, 2012 - 06:36 AM.
  • i have a prindle 16 and 18, hobie 18, supercat 17. the supercat is a very quick stable boat that is easy to singlehand. parts are available new through aquarious{arc} and are reasonable. of all the beachcats ive sailed my least favorite is the hobie 16. she is too sensitive and pichpoles easily.
  • the 17 is a fun cat but
    VERY (VERY VERY) WET!

parts and support are available

a well sailed one should smoke a prindle/hobie 16
    they are board-less (most 18's have boards)

the biggest drawback (imho) is the mast is very heavy (compared to ALL 16's and even most 18's) - & this is why they have shroud extenders (for righting the boat with a heavy mast)

Edited by MN3 on Nov 08, 2012 - 06:30 AM.
  • I have a SuperCat 17 which I really like. It's the only one I have and the only cat I have ever owned so I can't compare it.
    Some things I appreciate about it at that it's board and boomless. I sail on a lake and felt there would be more risk of whacking a board. It seems to have a reasonably unobstructed tramp, I like the rounded hull tops. Getting parts etc from Aquarius is great. You can still buy this model new. I've had my family of 4 on it, the kids are under 13, with no worries.
    The mast sure seems heavy, not so heavy that it keeps me from sailing and I have to do it every time. I don't find it a wet sail but I haven't been on anything else.

Carson

--
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    SuperCat 17
    --
  • MN3 the 17 is a fun cat but
    VERY (VERY VERY) WET!

What make the SuperCat 17 wetter than other cats - hull shape? Or is it faster, thereby causing more spray? Is there anything that can be done about it? Are there any cats of 16'-18' length that are DRY, or drier?

Richard
  • my prindle 18 is dryer than my supercat 17
  • rlltrash
    MN3 the 17 is a fun cat but
    VERY (VERY VERY) WET!

What make the SuperCat 17 wetter than other cats - hull shape? Or is it faster, thereby causing more spray? Is there anything that can be done about it? Are there any cats of 16'-18' length that are DRY, or drier?

Richard

i wonder if it has something to do with the oval hull shape

water pressed up leeward hull when going fast may stay attached to the hull all the way round to the tramp and then break off into spray???
  • Yes Hull shape. The 19's do it too... but they have much more flotation, so it reduces it a little.

what can be done? purchase a different boat.

PS - the 17 is boardless, the 19 has boards (same exact hull shape)

Are there any cats of 16'-18' length that are DRY, or drier? - Yes Every other boat :)

rlltrash
    MN3 the 17 is a fun cat but
    VERY (VERY VERY) WET!

Richard
  • Quotei wonder if it has something to do with the oval hull shape

water pressed up leeward hull when going fast may stay attached to the hull all the way round to the tramp and then break off into spray???

That's exactly what happens, from what I've seen. You may be able to glue a bead of something like weather stripping along the hull to break the water off the hull before it comes around to the top. The deck lip on Prindles and Hobies prevents the water from getting too far ontop, so the water splashes away.

Edited by jfricker on Nov 09, 2012 - 12:21 PM.

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.