Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

474 de rigging roblem  Bottom

• hello. i am a bit of a noob to sailing still and i cant seem to get the sail to drop on my boat. after allot of fiddleing me and my dad got it but we do not know how. Any help?
  • Need a bit more info. How does your sail hook to the mast top. Do you have a ring on the halyard and
    hook on the mast head?

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • it has a semi circle with a pin through it to go through a ring in the sail and hoist it. i assume that the ring clicks in on top.
  • If it has the conventional ring on the halyard and hook on the mast you need to rotate the mast in the direction that the hook will catch the ring while raising. To lower you raise the sail above the hook and
    then rotate the mast in the opposite direction so the ring misses the hook and comes down. If you have
    a mast rotator you need to loosen it so you can rotate the mast to the stops. Having the boat into pointed
    into the wind makes this all go a lot easier. If your sail is not traveling free in the mast track that can also
    hinder raising it above the hook in order to lower it.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • okay thanks
  • Here is a pic of a conventional mast hook.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=79699&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • The freestyle has a halyard ring the fits over the top of a hook at the top of the mast. When dropping the main apply downward pressure on the halyard and simultaneously rotate the mast so the the base is pointing at the starboard hull...realease halyard pressure and roatate the mast back to a centered position

--
    NACRA18SQ
    FREESTYLE 474
    --
  • Yeah, its fiddly the first couple of times you do it. I actually tie the end of my halyard to the starboard side of the ring so I have the option to pull it out of the way of the hook. One word of warning if you do that, you have to tighten and secure the halyard while sailing or it will flop around, get caught on battens and be generally annoying.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.