Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Epoxy Injection repair of soft spots vid.  Bottom

• I wanted to see how one of our automated epoxy injection pumps would perform for a repair of the dreaded soft spots The terminal illness of many a great old Hobie. I bought a 79 H 16 that was softer than a rank plumb, but had a great list of other stuff and great character as a test piece. I finished the entire length of both decks over the weekend. The are hard like modern epoxy composite and I tested the decks to a point load of 100 psi. The result over a 1" area was zero deflection. I ended up placing about 2 gallons of epoxy in the port deck cap and 1.6 in the starboard side. I will post some completed repair shots next weekend. I used an epoxy of about 375 cps viscosity. It penetrated the lamination well, wet out the foam, yet had enough body to build in the larger voids. This boat will soon sail again and should have another 33 good years! Enjoy...

http://youtu.be/KhYKg0IRpv4

--
    82 Hobie 18 Alter Signature Model. (The Cisco Squid) Complete refit down to the rivets in 2012.
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • That's quite a bit of epoxy..

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • yurdleThat's quite a bit of epoxy..

There is some leakage through the mat and I over blew the ports. Unless one wants a quick lesson in hydraulics and exothermic reaction, its best to not plug the ports as you go ( ask me how I know) so there was a lot of waste. I was only concerned with evaluating just how well it could be rebonded.

It bonds easily and restores quite well. Let me add that the deck was pushed down to displace the mat away from the deck. In some areas the drill would free fall a good .250".I was looking for a WCS for just how lousy of a deck could be shot and restored to a rigid structure. I am going to hole saw two 4" openings into the decks for deck ports, I'll take that into the shop and do some destructive testing to see whats what.

Edited by astglenn on Sep 16, 2012 - 08:35 PM.

--
    82 Hobie 18 Alter Signature Model. (The Cisco Squid) Complete refit down to the rivets in 2012.
    81 H-16
    Rescue California
    --
  • That's pretty slick, nice work.
    I wish I had that for the repair of the SS Minnow. The kids crashed it & I need some deck repair on an old Bombardier Invitation.
    I'm going to do it the old fashioned way this week, then the boat is going to a new home, for some new kids to learn to sail with.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.