Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

rudder pull while on port tack.  Bottom

• When I'm on a port tack (on my Nacra 5.0) and going a decent speed (but both hulls in water), there's an awful lot of pull pressure coming from the rudder where the boat wants to go to starboard. The faster the boat goes the more of an issue. Now when I'm on a starboard tack I do not have any issues like this. I suspect that something is going on with the rudder on port side but have no idea what could cause this and what to look for. Does anyone else has experienced something like this or have any pointers on what to do?

--
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marc C.
    Cleveland, Ohio.
    Current love: Nacra 5.0
    Old loves: Int Laser, Int Europe, Int 470, Int 420, Vaurien
    --
  • Have you checked that your jib sheets to the same place on each side?

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • several possible causes
    most likely the rake of the rudder is different than the other
    could also be 1 rudder has worn down from hitting sand/bottom
  • I'll check both your suggestion.. Thank you much!

--
    Marc C.
    Cleveland, Ohio.
    Current love: Nacra 5.0
    Old loves: Int Laser, Int Europe, Int 470, Int 420, Vaurien
    --
  • Both my 5.0 & 5.7 change trim as the wind builds. In a gust, they head up quite strongly. They also head up to a greater degree when a hull is flying, the more the hull comes out, the stronger is force.
    Make sure both shrouds are the same length, otherwise the mast leans. Check for vertical mast with a level, boat must be floating in calm water.
    Make sure both diamond wires are the same tension. Otherwise the mast bends differently on the other tack, & develops more or less power.
    Your boats sail looks like an '84, I have the identical one, only on a 5.7. It had the same issue, one tack was weather helm, the other lee helm. I had a slightly bent front beam, kinked just where the inside of the hull touches the beam. Changing out the beam fixed most of it. I ended up adjusting the right rudder tip back a full inch to even out both tacks.
    How much mast rake do you have? The more rake, the greater it wants to head up.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.