Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Help ID'ing and finding 6:1 block parts?  Bottom

• These are off an '83 Supercat 17 - it would seem highly unlikely that these are OEM Supercat parts but... But just in case they are and anyone has a line on small parts for them any help would be appreciated. I was out in 10kts yesterday and the swivel that the shackle attaches to parted company with the block. Of course it had to be the block w/the cam on it just so that any replacement is going to be extra $$!

I can't figure out who the manufacturer is - it looks like 'APM' but Google isn't returning ANY hits for that name.

http://pinellas-rentals.com/boat/block2.jpg
    http://pinellas-rentals.com/boat/block3.jpg
  • I have never seen blocks break like that, and would be enough to sway me away from that brand

I would (and have) upgraded to a new set of harkens

you can probably purchase searay ones (hobie) cheap
  • APM's were a block made in Long Island,N.Y by Tony Laviano (I think his name was), but went out of business 30 years ago. I would love to get your broken one (for the tangent guards) if you have no way of fixing it. Pete 909-800-5237
  • I have had blocks like those before and they are actually pretty nice blocks. I don't think they are being made anymore, so finding parts could be tough. Harkens are definitely the way to go.

However, you can probably rebuild themyourself for next to nothing. There is an article on converting Seaway 5:1 Hobie 16 blocks to the low profile set-up which entails drilling out the pressed in rods on the blocks and replacing them with long screws. That would be the easiest way--do it over a bucket so you don't lose the bearings and re-pack them with shaving cream so the bearings don't get away..
  • Thanks for the reply Pete. It's certainly a lightweight piece of kit - judging by the age it might be OEM.

Just out of interest - is this triple block overkill for my Supercat? The PO had rigged it with a 1/2" sheet and it doesn't run too freely in and out. I'm thinking at the minimum I'll drop the line diameter down to 3/8" and see if that helps things.

The mainsail area on the SC17 is roughly 190 sq/ft I think.
  • 6:1 is perfect for the your Supercat. 1/2" line is too big, though. I run a Harken 3" tripple lower block and a Harken 2.25" upper block on mine. The 2.25" ones are pretty expensive to find used because they are the preferred blocks for most Hobies. The 3" ones are cheaper only because they are oversized (over kill) for most beach cats. A nice set of matching 3" blocks would allow you to use larger line, but smaller is always better.
  • Well - I ended up going w/a quick fix at the suggestion of Mike at Ellie's sail shop in Clearwater. $1 worth of dyneema and we're going for a sail this morning. I figure for a $1 I can carry some spare with me and if it works great - if not I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new block. At least I'll be able to fix it on the fly this time...

Thanks for everyone's help!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.