Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Late 80s Nacra 5.0  Bottom

• Nacra 5.0 my dad bought new, to find out 3 months later he had a daughter--my sister on the way.

Went into storage for 15-20 years getting used a total of 10-15 times.

Until his kids were old enough. Put on out beach around 2000? used another 20-30 times.

I got a larger boat so this one sat.

Storm damaged a rudder casting. Otherwise boat is good to go.

Sails always stored inside--and flawless.

mast straight

want this thing gone. It is taking up room in my shop.

$500 w/ trailer
    (figure sails alone are worth about that?)

Or i will sell the sails and masts seperately.

If no one wants it i will donate to the YMCA camp.

Located outside the Twin Cities in Minnesota.
  • You can list it on this site here: http://www.thebeachcats.c…fieds/g1-catamarans.html and will likely find a buyer. Just toss Damon $5 for the service. These listing reach a lot cat sailors looking for boats.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • post a few pics of it and it will probably be gone in less than 2 weeks.
  • I dont have any pictures.

ill pay someone $50 to post it for me and it sells! HA I am not great with computers and want it out of my shop more then anything.
    Brad
  • Where is said Nacra? Maine, California or somewhere in between? icon_smile

--
    -------------------------------------------
    1983 Nacra 5.0 Sail #10
    Dallas, Texas area
    --
  • in the first post i said Minnesota outside the twin cities
  • Quoteill pay someone $50 to post it for me and it sells

Do you have a digital camera? Take some shots, showing all sides of the boat, & email them to me. Send them to
    edchris177 (AT) hotmail (DOT) com
    I'll work up an ad for you.
    I would drive out & get it if we hadn't just driven to Chicago to pick up a 5.0!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Quotei said Minnesota outside the twin cities

DOH! Sorry, missed that!

--
    1983 Nacra 5.0 Sail #10
    Dallas, Texas area
    --
  • My out of state daughter likes my 5.0 so well that I have been looking for one to restore for her. Please shoot me a personal message and if we can get together and it's late 80's like you say, I will commit to buy it sight unseen and get it out of your hair this weekend.

Edited by nacraman57 on Jul 19, 2012 - 11:57 AM.
  • Well there you go done and done.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • did you sell the boat then ? if not Ill take it .
  • Quotedid you sell the boat then ? if not Ill take it .
    Hey, I too have been trying. Have left personal messages to get a contact. Haven't heard a word. To add to my depression, I missed a 5.0 on Craigslist in Texas that is an exact duplicate of my 1987 5.7 by two hours. Same sail pattern same setup, just the junior version. (Check out my avatar) Nacra came out with the 5.0 in 1982 and they were solid fiberglass construction. Because of an insolvency problem in 1985 there were no 5.0's or 5.7's built in that year. When they came back in 1986 their skeg boats were a foam core construction. My problem is, I like to solo the 5.0 but it weighs as much as my 5.7! I suppose my difficulty horsing it around the beach has a lot to do with turning 60 and the tendency to hit the Busch Lite cooler. Also my daughter would like to find one to sail without having to come home to do so. So if any of you guys have a lead on a 1986 or later 5.0.... let me know!
  • I have a Hobie 18 with wings and I love it ,except for the weight .I sail solo 99% of the time and my 1984 h18 weighs 400lbs. I dont want another H16 Had one for 12 years so I am interested in the nacra5.0 because its lighter. can anyone tell me the actual weight of it? and also I cant find any info. on the nacra 16 sq. like the one in the classifieds from Edmonton Alberta the blue hulls can any of you nacra guys help ?
  • Sorry. didnt get on Beach Cats this weekend.

I replied to PMs... still for sale--right now...
  • Got your message hope we can get something going here!
  • Quotecan anyone tell me the actual weight of it?

I will try to weigh mine, ('88) next time we bring it on shore. It is definitely lighter than my '84 5.7. I can push the 5.0 over the breakwall rather easily, the 5.7 is a chore, I'm going to put hatches in it in order to drain the hulls. The boardless boats need to be on quite steep angle to drain, as the aft 2' of the hulls have a rise.
    The 5.0 is not much easier to right than the 5.7. It is a blast to solo, BUT, in 20 mph it wants to submarine the bows to a greater extent when turning downwind. You have to be careful on the tiller, if you give a quick pull while blasting through waves, it will pitchpole...I did the high diving act 2 days ago! By contrast, you really, really have to work at it to get the 5.7 to go azz over teakettle, even in 30 mph. The extra 3' of hull sticking out front makes them come back up, even if you manage to submerge them nearly to the beam.
    The 5.0 is nearly as fast as the 5.7. We had 2 up in 25mph, & I soloed it in 20mph, came just a hair shy of making 20mph on the GPs. I can easily make 20 GPS, or better, solo or 2 up on the 5.7, BUT, the 5.7 has better sails, I think with new rags on the 5.0 it would break 20.
    The 5.0 is "nervous" compared to the 5.7 when the wind gets 20+, a bit of pressure is better than actually moving the rudder. If you jam the tiller over,(especially towards downwind) you better be sure footed or have a chicken line. In comparison the 5.7 can be rough handled with no ill effects.
    If it seems I'm denigrating the 5.0, I'm NOT, it is a tremendously fun, fast,simple & forgiving boat. I went out on Sat, with both weather stations,(spread 15 miles either side of me) calling for 15 clicks,(10 mph),BS!. Once I cleared the point out of my bay, I was not in Kansas anymore. The south wind gave a full 40 mile fetch, whitecaps were everywhere, with lines of foam strung out across the swells. The GPS showed long stretches of 18-19 mph. I went on a long jaunt, & crossed the main navigation channel twice,(no commercial traffic,it connects cruisers transiting from Lake Ontario to Gerogian Bay on Lake Huron). At full speed I blasted into waves that opposed large boat wakes, making for 5' vertical faces. I had green water going over the tramp, & once washed my legs out from under me. Other times I was airborne off the waves, & falling into short steep troughs. Of course that temporarily killed the speed, as witnessed on the GPS track log, but it plowed through & accelerated quickly. The only time I felt it wanted to commit hari kari was if I quickly turned the bows downwind.
    I drove it like that for 2 hours, only coming off the wire to change sides. At one point I converged on, then passed, a 40' yacht, chugging for the south shore. On the loud hailer he asked, "how fast will that damn thing go?" I was in no position to give him anything other than a WTF, haven't a clue shrug. He stated, "I'm going 15 on the GPS, & you're passing me, bloody unbelievable". He then gave a double blast of the horn, a wave, & altered course slightly to give me more room...a nice touch, as I didn't feel like heading up.
    On the final stretch, 1 mile before I reached the protection of Victoria Pt, I was doing 30 clicks (19mph) on a sustained GPS leg when I got complacent. I watched both bows go under, & had just enough time to register the fact that the damn boat was pitching over on top of itself. I surfaced, still hooked onto the wire, with hat & sunglasses intact, a successful execution of the high diving act if there ever was one.
    The GPS showed 30 clicks to 0, in 6 meters! It also showed that 4 minutes later I was moving again, the quickest righting I've ever done!
    I don't think I would give up my 5.7, (maybe when I'm 60) but the 5.0 is a pretty close competitor.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I need a catamaran.
    Great motivational story. I love the North Channel.
    I am trying to decide whether I want to horse around the extra weight of a H18. There is a Nacra F-17 that seems nice and light at 300 pounds. I wonder if it is too much for a 50 year old to solo?
    The specs I found put the 5.0 put it at 325 ( http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4953)
    edchris... I thought the wife didn't know about the 5.0?

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • QuoteTo add to my depression, I missed a 5.0 on Craigslist in Texas that is an exact duplicate of my 1987 5.7 by two hours. Same sail pattern same setup, just the junior version.

FWIW, it went to a very good home. =)

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.