Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Any tips for keeping Hobie 16 on beach?  Bottom

• hi, I have an opportunity to keep my Hobie 16 on the beach in front of my friend's house. any suggestions for security and anchoring the boat there??? it will be up on some sea oats and sand area... past a small dune. any tips and suggestions will be greatly appreciated icon_biggrin
  • i leave my cat on a public beach

but i take the sails and mainsheet and block with me
  • I would secure it to the ground with the best system you can. I think the best is to dig and put 5 gal buckets of concrete underground with chain coming out of the ground, or planks of wood buried as deep as you can. I personally use 2 tree augers but they wont hold over 50mph gusts

I would make sure none of your halyards are clanging in the wind.. this will drive people (in ear shot) crazy and people will go to extreme measures to stop the insidious clanging that is keeping them awake

I would personally remove my rudders as well when i wasn't there... they are UV sensitive (esp hobie ones) and people seem to trip over them all the time.

Also i would make a tramp cover to keep dirt, bird poop, and people off your boat
  • QuoteAlso i would make a tramp cover to keep dirt, bird poop, and people off your boat

You mean one covered with porcupine quills

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • How secure is your friends beach can it be seen from the house? Is there any lighting at night? Does it get a lot of night traffic? Can you tie a big mean dog next to it?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • yes, it can be seen from the house... no, no lighting due to sea turtles... no, not alot of night traffic - it's right in the middle of 2 public beach parking areas (1 mile each way)... I can tie a big Lab next to it but he'll help whoever wants to do anything to the Hobie icon_eek

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.