Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P16 Square?  Bottom

• How hard would it be to make a p18 sail into a P16 square-top sail?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • dunno bout the 18-16 but i am having a square top made for my 16 this coming winter just for grins

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --
  • pbeagle just commented on a thread about that...said it cost him 45$ and bam!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • All you do is take the headboard off, cut the sail down to first batten & put headboard back on. Frightens the hell out of P-18 & H-18 sailors if you can keep the crew weight down (daughter & I are 265 #). Pete
  • HMMMM!

I like this idea a LOT. So here's a related question: If you find a sail that has similar foot length, but is too tall for your mast, do you think it would be possible to mix 'n match sails off of other boats?

The reason I'm asking is that the main on my P-Cat will eventually need to be replaced. It's in ok shape for now, but time's the killer with sails. My options up to this point were to have a new one made, or to put a different rig on my boat. (I'm still kinda holding out for a used Tornado rig, which has almost the same dimensions as the P2-18.) But now I have a third option: Find a sail off a taller rig and make a square top.

Even better, my boat came with two booms. So there's a good bit of leeway when looking at hand me down sails.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • Should be no problem for a good sailmaker, just give them the luff measurement of your P16 from tack to head and ask them to make the P18 sail a square top with those measurements, using the old headboard as Pete mentioned.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • I am defiantly going to have to consider this. But I may wait a while my son already kicked my trash on our unofficial Race but my boat was overloaded with crew. Probably 700lbs at least and I got bad start where he stayed fairly clos eto the group.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.