Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

busted mast pcs - in MS or close  Bottom

• I'm looking for some screwed up masts that I can get a few pieces out of - or the whole thing if its in your way. I would prefer non-anodized and mostly freshwater. What boat it is off of does not matter but looking for a wing/teardrop shape or oval. Approx 2ft lengths

Thanks - tell me what you have

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • Damon has a trophy that fits that description.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • I'm sorry I can't help, but I have to ask: Whatcha gonna do with the bits and pieces? This sounds like a cool project.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • Well I'll say this - it has nuthin to do with boats. I had an idea for a project I'm working on at the shop but I dont know the exact size of mast section I need.

--

--
  • I have a p16 mast that's gonna be scrapped

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Nooooooo. No scrapping good P16 mast. That is just wrong. I wish I lived close and I'd come take it off you hands.

captedteach:
    I have an old busted off Nacra mast and bent( I think Beyond repair or safe sailing) P16 mast in my back yard. But I am not sure how I would cut them for you. They will likely be recycled soon after I strip the bits off them.

Anyone know if is very possible or even a good idea to try to straighten a mas with a bit of a kink in it. Looks like ti was dropped and hit something at a point in the mast. I'll have to see if I can get pictures.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Thanks for the offers on the P16 sticks - Let me see if I can lay my eyeballs on one before we worry too much about cutting up and shipping I'm not in a big hurry and will be heading to the coast next week and you just never know what you can find on a little road trip

--

--
  • We busted (snapped) our playcat (escape) mast the other day in light winds! Has anynody else had this problem? Are these masts prone to failure?
  • QuoteAnyone know if is very possible or even a good idea to try to straighten a mas with a bit of a kink in it. Looks like ti was dropped and hit something at a point in the mast. I'll have to see if I can get pictures.

Aluminum is very brittle and will likely crack or be significantly weakened when bent, and then bent back. I bet it could be fixable, though. You would have to add new material, like plates of aluminum to reinforce the bent sections. A good tig welder could weld it up nice. you could probably make it just as strong or stronger than original. Not pretty, but functional. I am certainly not a sailboat expert, but i do work in a fabrication shop. It's just my opinion.

--
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Venora"
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Bumblebee"
    60's 14' Sailstar Tallstar sloop "Arandora"

Heber City, UT
    --
  • QuarathAnyone know if is very possible or even a good idea to try to straighten a mas with a bit of a kink in it. Looks like ti was dropped and hit something at a point in the mast. I'll have to see if I can get pictures.

It is possible to fix a mast - does it look like it may have hit the cross bar when raising or lowering the mast?

If so find you a nice tree with a fork in it (or build a reasonable facsimile) thats in the sun. Place the bend in the fork and put just a little pressure on it and set it on the ground. Leave it there for a while and move it over a bit - repeat the process until the mast is straight. This is not a one day thing more like a few weeks. Of course if you have a TIG you can slice it half - hammer out the kink and weld it back up

--

--
  • http://www.papertigercata…asts_-_bender_mender.pdf

here is an article with mast straightening technique...i have not tried it, but was interesting.

Edited by coastrat on Jul 15, 2012 - 09:11 PM.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.