Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast cover suggestions?  Bottom

• I have a G-Cat 5.7. When stored, I have a tarp over it from the Home Depot that covers the boat from bow to stern, but that leaves about 8-9' of mast exposed. It's on the trailer, with the mast resting on the rear crossbar and trailer mast support, in the usual way. A tarp big enough to cover the mast is huge everywhere else.

I'm wondering if anybody out there has sourced a tubular cover that would cover the protruding part of the mast. I was thinking a sail bag, but that isn't weatherproof enough. The covers they sell for patio umbrellas would work, but they are too short, maybe I could sew together two of them. Without contracting a tarp maker for a custom job, does anyone know an off-the-shelf solution? Thanks.

--
    Hobie 16
    Hobie 18
    G-Cat 5.7
    --
  • you can purchase sumbrella from sailrite.com and make a custom cover
    http://search.sailrite.co…la-Canvas-Outdoor-Fabric

but why?

i would recommend: give your boat a fresh water wash (not rinse) after sailing in salt water, cover the UV sensative parts (huills, lines, tramps, etc) and thats it...

Edited by MN3 on Jun 18, 2012 - 07:52 AM.
  • Quotebut why?

i would recommend: give your boat a fresh water wash (not rinse) after sailing in salt water, cover the UV sensative parts (huills, lines, tramps, etc) and thats it...

x1. aluminum shouldn't need to be covered, unless you've got some nylon cleats, plulleys, or lines exposed...

--
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Venora"
    70's 18' Sol Cat "Bumblebee"
    60's 14' Sailstar Tallstar sloop "Arandora"

Heber City, UT
    --
  • I cover the mast ends because I have clam cleats, Harken cheek and stand-up blocks, decals marking the downhaul and two halyards to hide from UV radiation. These are not cheap parts. I will cover the entire mast when I figure out how to cover 30' of mast, diamond wires and spreader bars easily.

Some of the people here with 16 foot cats (no spreaders) use a mast bag to cover the entire mast including the stays. They make them from Sunbrella, as mentioned above, like a 27 foot tube sock that they pull on from the top down.

A few people even trailer with them on, but it has to be made strong and able to be cinched down tight so it doesn't destroy itself in the wind while trailering.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Right - I have cleats, blocks and lines that don't need the UV and rain.

--
    Hobie 16
    Hobie 18
    G-Cat 5.7
    --
  • i have a spin halyard, block and bail on my mast too.. i replace these items as needed anyway so for me ...

i use my cat so much, i would be tarping 16x a month

they make custom covers for any boat.. they are GREAT for travel to keep dirt, grease and rocks off your boat when driving....
  • wINDSURFER SAIL BAGS FOR 7-8 METER SAILS, EITHER NEW OR USED; CHECK LOCAL SHOP. pETE

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.