Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P18 vs P18.2 vs N5.0 vs N5.2 and maybe H18 or 19???  Bottom

• I'm brand new to this awesome site. I owned a H16 several years ago and had a lot of fun with the boat but did not like how it tended to dive and if I did not get a perfect tack it would get stuck in neutral. I sailed with a guy back then a couple of times on his P. it must have been an 18.2 cause it had daggerboards and wings and turned on a dime. He also had a roll up jib. it was real nice and smooth sailing. He was always sailing it by himself.
    Now I'm looking to get another cat but I want to take my boys ages 12 and 9. It needs to turn easy, have 2 trapeze lines, have room for 3 of us, and be stable when I'm getting sideways.
    I have been looking at the above cats and there's a P18 near me for a good price but I am concerned it will turn like my old H16 since the hulls are not rounded and it doesnt have daggers. I don't want to spend more than $2000 but for the right boat I might go to $3000.
    Can anyone here that has sailed these fill me in on the differences of each. I might get another H if it is what I want but no way will I ever buy another H16.
    Any direction would be appreciated thanks.
  • for 30 yo boats

generally the best condition, affordable boat near you is best

having said that if you want the best tacking and pointing then boardless boats should be bottom of your list

so i'd rank them 5.2, 18.2, h18, 5.0, P18

i also hate the way the h16 tacks and the jib hangs in light air

but i doubt the p18 would be anywhere near as bad

so go check it out

if you can arrange a test sail, always advisable

you'll find out how well it tacks
  • Every boat has it's nuances and you need to learn how the boat turns. When I started sailing a few years ago
    on my h18 I missed tacks all the time. With time on the water I never even think about the tack and rarely get
    caught in irons. The P18 is a perfect boat for you. Fairly light so you and the boys can move it around and the
    hulls will easily carry the three of you with room on the tramp. It is also a very stable ride which I think you want
    with the younguns. I cannot comment on Nacras, but the h and p 18's will handle three. The 18-2 is more of a 2
    person boat especially as the boys get bigger. As stated by erice get the best condition boat in your area and
    go have fun. Side note. I have a p16 which is boardless and turns very well.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • P18 rides very high without much weight and tacks nicely. just remember the most important part is to at least let 2 feet sheet out once you are through the wind.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • As Erice says above, distance from you as well as condition of boat are the major factors in selection. I have a P18 and sail it solo all the time, solid, and forgiving. Murrays does have a jib kit for the P18 so there is an option for you. When tacking on a boat with asymmetrical hulls, there are forces acting on the hulls that do slow you down when tacking, that is where the technique of "back-wind" comes into play, when I tack, I ease the rudders over, as I head into the wind I release the main sheet and loosen the jib sheet ever so slightly, the jib fills with wind and pulls the bows around, once through the wind, only then do I release the jib sheets and sheet-in on opposite side, the main-sheet is almost forgotten in the tack, being the last piece of the maneuver.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • My 2 cents. Never sailed Prindles.. (PM Bill.. Coast rat here.. He loves his.. At least that what he says).. Once you get the hang of using the jib and unsheeting the main early to finish the tack all of the boats probably will perform well.. Think about sailing comfort.. I would consider a H 18.. ( just bought one with wings. and news at 11 on how I like it..) 3 males and a N 5.2 or 5.5 is a tight squeze on the tramp.. I LOVE my 5.2. Tacks like it is on RR tracks.. Great balance.. The tramp is a zoo. Jib lines all over the place. Tramp is perhaps 1/3 the size of some other boats. Boom is quite close to the tramp so clearance is an issue. My 5 foot crew struggles to get under it sometimes. Those younsters are going to grow up.. That H 18 tramp looks like a soccer field compaired to the Nacras and Prindles. Its a bit of a tank but a great learning boat with you on board for the boys... AND is in a huge racing fleet for older boats.. Not as big as the 16 but still going strong.. Cheers Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • I would go with the P18 or a H18. The Nacra is not kid or weight friendly in my humble unlearned opinion.

Edited by golfdad75 on Jun 16, 2012 - 09:36 AM.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Portsmouth numbers (PN's): P-18 (74.8), N-5.2 (72.1), H-18 (71.4), P-18-2 (69.1). (lower # means faster). Anybody want a casual race? I'll take an 18-2 with the only 8.5' wide tramp and flush mounted centerboards any day. Pete
  • I moved from an H16 to P18 and when you have a heavier crew (you and two kids or me and just about anybody) for the H16, the P18 is vastly superior. As mentioned by others every boat has it's niche and nuances. I am just learning the ropes of the P18 and it has yet to disappoint. Murrays does have the turnkey kit for the furler, but West Marine has the Harken furler and swivel for a pretty good price and if you can get you forestay shortened you'll end up saving about $75 or so. The P18 is pretty good bet for just sailing around with the family.
  • More of my 2 cents..
    You don't say where-why-how you are sailing.. AND your intent.. Hauling A** on a lake with no one around... Sailing on a small lake and racing with the only other boat there even if it is a sunfish.. simi-serious club fun sails.. Regattas with the flags and horns and the "serious"sailors.. let us know that..

Look at Pete's PN Numbers. P-18-2 wins.. BUT.. Depending where you live a P-18-2 is not going to be on Craigs every day.. Nor is a H18... BUT .. more H18s in most parts of the US than Prindles. And parts for fix up of the f**k up's... Hobie is the winner there. Find a old H14 (or a olde H3.2) for the kids to play with. Put it on top of the 18. Let the kids sail the 18 with you on the 18 while you crew as they get older. Mine were on their own on a H-16 when they were 12.. Let them sail the 14 alone at first and you go save them when the flip. Family fun.. Kids are sailing on their own.. Did it with mine and 2 are still sailing.. N 5.8 and H 16.. Big words.. ENJOY.. IT ROCKS H

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • The 5.0 is an absolute blast for simple single handed reaching.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • The 5.0 is also a blast with two adults. We had mine totally airborne the other day, just the rudders in the water, blasting of large swells.
    It also has a totally clean tramp, & if you are in shallows no daggerboards to worry about.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • keep us posted

Edited by MN3 on Jun 18, 2012 - 04:45 AM.
  • There are 2 P19s in the classifieds right now that would fit the bill. One with a spin that might be a little too much work if you are not experiences.

--
    Uwe
    94 Prindle 19 - "überKat"
    DFW, TX
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.