Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Round the Island, Fort Walton Beach, FL June 23rd, 2012  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Who's up for a nice little 105 (sometimes much more) mile sail around Santa Rosa Island.

I've entered it twice, the first time ended at 8:15pm on the Gulf Side of Fort Pickens Rd. by the last lifeguard stand due to very light west winds and not wanting to try Pickens Pass in total darkness.

The second time I did it solo on my Hobie 18 and finished at 12:15am, pretty good considering winds were again from the West (although stronger) so it was tack-tack-tack up the Gulf side and then jibe-jibe-jibe back in the inland leg.

That year I covered 136 miles on the GPS.

http://thebeachcats.com/e…viewtype/details/eid/577

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • That sounds like a good time - never done Round the Island

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • I have been thinking about doing this one.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Anyone else going? You gonna go Damon?

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • the one race that you really need that predominant south wind and ya didn't get it... TWICE?

sounds like a really fun race if it was nothing but screaming reaches icon_eek
  • One day later and I would so be in or at least looking for a crew spot. That would be a great start to my vacation.
  • matt922the one race that you really need that predominant south wind and ya didn't get it... TWICE?

Yes, I think maybe I'm a jinx to the race.

The year before my first time they had a perfect strong sea breeze for the entire race and even non-spin boats finished by 4-5pm. Of course other years the breeze dies at dark and then you wait for hours for the wind to come back. It's not unusual for boats to finish Sunday morning.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • bachoAnyone else going? You gonna go Damon?

I'm still undecided. I have said I didn't want to do this one again unless it was on a faster boat. icon_wink

But I'd really like to sail it with better conditions than I've had in the past, so I might take another crack at it.

One problem is that the Horn Island Hop at Ocean Springs is the following weekend and I don't want to miss that.

So I'm trying to arrange things so that I can just stay on the coast that week, or I could take the boat over to Ocean Springs after the finish at Fort Walton and leave it.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I'm in...

None of those silly bay races this year...I want the real deal.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Damon, my plan is to watch the weather till the last minute. If its gonna be a drifter, I have better things to do.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • Good plan, the only problem is how unpredictable Gulf Coast weather can be. Since I'm 400-500 miles from the Gulf Coast destinations I make a habit of not checking the weather before a trip.

What I'll probably do is go ahead and enter but decide once I get down there whether I'll actually go around. Since I've "done it" I'll only go if conditions look good for a before dark finish.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • What happens on Monday the 25 got to be back Monday.
    Have raced in the area before. Well really learned to
    Sail multihulls there.

Robert

--
    Robert Crawford
    Prindle 18
    Muscle Shoals, Alabama
    --
  • robertcrawfordWhat happens on Monday the 25 got to be back Monday.
    Have raced in the area before. Well really learned to
    Sail multihulls there.

Robert

Couldn't figure out why you were asking about Monday, hadn't noticed that their Flyer had the wrong dates. I've updated the calendar entry to remove the flyer.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…viewtype/details/eid/577

Here's the schedule from the NOR

• Friday, June 22
    • Check-In & Late Registration 4:30pm – 6:00pm
    • Welcome Social 6:00pm – 7:30pm
    • Skippers Meeting 7:30pm
    • Saturday, June 23
    • Coffee 5:30am
    • First Warning 6:55am
    • Start 7:00am
    • Fleet Capt’s Grill on the point 4:00pm – 10:00pm
    • Sunday, June 24
    • Sunday Breakfast 9:00am – 11:00am
    • Trophy Presentation 11:00am

Lots of people skip the trophy presentation if they have to be home on Sunday.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Thank you, can you post a link that shows the course.
    I have looked at the Fwyc web site and could not find
    one.

Thanks Again

--
    Robert Crawford
    Prindle 18
    Muscle Shoals, Alabama
    --
  • Not a map but here's a link to an article about the 2007 event, everything is pretty much the same I think.

http://thebeachcats.com/n…island,-fort-walton,-fl/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • robertcrawfordThank you, can you post a link that shows the course.
    I have looked at the Fwyc web site and could not find
    one.

Thanks Again

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=18288&g2_serialNumber=7

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Tyler, thanks for finding that course picture.

While I was looking for one I found this picture I didn't know about that shows me retrieving my H18 from the Fort Pickens public beach Sunday morning after bailing out Saturday night. The lifeguard and people on the beach couldn't figure out where the boat came from.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=46620&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • DamonLinkousTyler, thanks for finding that course picture.

That's a picture of my track log from 2007. It is a pretty good representation of the course. You can find it and other track logs in my photo album.

DamonLinkous
    While I was looking for one I found this picture I didn't know about that shows me retrieving my H18 from the Fort Pickens public beach Sunday morning after bailing out Saturday night. The lifeguard and people on the beach couldn't figure out where the boat came from.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=46620&g2_serialNumber=4

I remember it well. I picked you up that Saturday night and drove you back to FWYC, in Andy's wife's borrowed vehicle. Good times.

--
    Philip
    --
  • robertcrawfordThank you, can you post a link that shows the course.

Robert,
    I should have added that once you leave the Destin Pass they usually have you honor the CB MoA buoy to starboard. The buoy is out there some. The rest of the details is what happens past Brooks Bridge towards the finish, and what happens at the start. They will cover that Friday evening at the meeting.

--
    Philip
    --
  • mummp
    I remember it well. I picked you up that Saturday night and drove you back to FWYC, in Andy's wife's borrowed vehicle. Good times.

Yes and thanks for coming to rescue us!

What a difference a year made. The 2007 race conditions were what finally convinced me to try going around the island. Looking at your track and how smooth it is shows the prevailing southerly winds that are hoped for. I think the whole fleet was in by dark that year with some boats finishing as early as 2pm.

In contrast, 2008 was light west winds which is why I didn't make it around.

Then in 2009 for my solo trip on the Hobie 18 (no spin) again with the west winds but at least the winds varied from light-medium to medium so progress could be made, but with a lot of tacking and jibing. Take a look at my track from 2009. (forgot I had this) It shows the trip out to the bouy after passing under the bridge at Destin Pass, they also had us honor a mark at the Fort Pickens Pass which was kind of hard to find since right about then was when the only strong winds of the trip came up and it was a wild sleigh ride through the pass. Look at all the short jibes in the narrows, this was in the dark and I was jibing every time the rudders kicked up from getting out of the super narrow channel.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=87496&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.