Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Round donuts on shrouds  Bottom

• We just noticed that our N5.0 does not have the round white nylon donuts on the diamond wires,(sorry I typrd "shrouds" in the title, can't edit it) used to protect the jib & let it slide easier.
    A year or so ago there was a thread on solutions for this. I can't seem to find the thread, anybody know where it is?
    Thanks.

Edited by Edchris177 on May 15, 2012 - 10:43 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • http://www.apsltd.com/c-7…ler-for-316-38-wire.aspx

Are these what your looking for?

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks Ron. I believe the thread was about how to put them on after the ends of the diamond wires have have been swaged on, impossible with the standard donuts. These wires are new, I don't know why they didn't put the donuts back on, probably forgot about them til to late.
    I remember there being a solution, your link looks like the way to go, until the diamond wires get changed.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • there are several brands that snap together and can be placed on or removed while the wires are tight

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MS&Product_Code=28-0285&Category_Code=
  • God I love this site. Thanks Damon! I just opened my box of rigging from SaltyDog and saw these wierd plastic things on my new diamond wires. So do they just rest on top of the spreaders with nothing holding them there but gravity? And their only job is protecting the jib? All the other diamond wires I've ever seen had a wad of tape for this purpose, so I have to admit it's an improvement. Thanks for any help given.

--
    Repairable P18
    --
  • @pirateboy27, I like to put a couple of wraps of tape above them so that they do not stick at the top and stay there when you step the mast.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • They usually fall down, to rest on the spreader bar. On my 5.7, a couple of times(after a crash) they got stuck up top.
    As Ron said a couple wraps of tape, or a zip tie an inch or so above them will keep them in place-even in a pitchpole!
    The wad of tape prevents any ring dings in the spreader from being snagged by halyards & pulled out. It also protects the sail cloth. Supposedly the donuts allow the material to roll around the spreader tip easier, preventing wearing a stripe due to friction.

Edited by Edchris177 on May 16, 2012 - 05:10 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Thanks for the feedback guys! Edchris as always your posts are informative and complete. (the wife knows about the 5.0 she bribes the kids to watch and tattle on daddy) Ron your boat looks beautiful. in your avitar pic it looks just about ready to take off-how high can you fly it?

I have two masts...the 2-piece type and the new(ish used) one I bought, so I have my pick of ringdings and fittings. I think I'll put a small bit of tape on the rings to quiet them, and then a tiny wire (I say zip too and they look at me funny) tie above the donuts will do fine.

Ya'll come on down to the Texas coast
    Beer's on me

--
    Repairable P18
    --
  • I ended up buying the ones Ron mentioned, they were at the local West Marine for $19.
    Both 5.0 & 5.7 are now under sail for the season.
    Have to change my autograph, wife & her sister were up for a few days...wife commented, "what is that out by the ski boat, is that another sailboat".
    "No dear, must be a reflection on the water."
    "It looks awfully like another boat to me."
    "You're just tired, maybe seeing double"
    "No, it's definitely another boat".
    "That?, Ohhhh, thaaat, you mean that white thing, yeah, well, I don't know, a friend is keeping it here for a bit"
    "Isn't that how your last two boats arrived? Seems your friends never come back to pick them up"
    "Great deals eh, I get to use their boats forever, for free"
    "Do you think you could get the deck at home stained & looking pretty by Monday, the girls are all coming for a BBQ"
    Excellent, we are now on another topic, women seem very good at drifting through ideas, the 5.0 is now a fait accompli. She may not even notice us modifying another seadoo lift to store it on!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Had a buddy who traded his 5.5 SL for a new 6.0 years ago.
    Wife noticed something was different.
    He told her he put new graphics on it.
    Don't think she ever new the truth.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Chris. Been there... Met the wife.. NO WAY.. She is down there to check things out in a heartbeat.. Nice try but you give other guys bad lines to use and false hope that they will work. Ladies have shoes.. Guys have boats. Dont mention the shoes and ask her >> "Ask Her" not to mention the boats ... And get busy on the deck.. Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • HA HA deck is done, so is the cedar portion of the house.
    Hal do you still need that tiller connection, & little metal tab for your N5.2 hulls? Or do you have enough parts to build 10 boats from Honest Hals Catworks.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.