Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

River wind patterns  Bottom

• So I'm sailing in the Mug race again this year. approx 30 miles down (North) the St. Johns from Palatka to Orange Park. Didn't finish last year; had to be towed due to no wind- bummer. Forecast as it stands now calls for WSW winds 8 knots. This will most definitely switch around to easterlies in the afternoon as the sea breeze comes in. I just hope the two don't cancel each other out for a period of hours like last year. My question for the experts is this- with wind blowing across a large river such as the St Johns, where would one wish to position his boat to get the best air? Windward side of the river, middle, middle-lee, leeward, , middle-windward? The terrain is flat and there are no mountains or buildings to account for. I don't know how wind flows across a body of water like that and am looking for any bit of an advantage I can get. Any ideas or sources would be helpful. If you are also racing Saturday and are in my class- multihull non-spinnaker B, I won't believe anything you say icon_wink

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • I'm guessing here as I have not sailed the St Johns - a little more to the leeward side of middle. Should give you room to foot a bit and tack across the hot area. Of course once you are on the water just read what it tells you and go where the boat feels good

Edited by captedteach on May 02, 2012 - 09:30 PM.

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • Hey Eric, i will see you on the river as i am sailing in the mug race as well, on a hobie 16 though, so i will start earlier than you and will wave when you pass me. this is my first one so i don't have any advice for you.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sJNobPBGkso/T6K978CT8DI/AAAAAAAAAkc/9YtH1tnVQFo/s732/forecast.jpg

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.