Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Holey Hobie  Bottom

• Hi y'all

Please look at my pictures uploaded into the "Catamaran tech tips" photo album and give me some hints on repair. Only one is a trhough hole, the others are either cracks (which may get the ol drill and fill) and the rest ara areas which seem to be missing material, like it was just worn away after so many years. Any ideas will help and I promise to post the After pics when I git-r-dun

TIA
    Cat Sass
  • Except for that first one, they all look like the boat was dragged across the sand for too many years, and the glass is worn off. Most of that should be able to be built back up with new glass and a set of profiles from Hobie so you know you've put enough glass on.

I don't know what to do around the daggerboard trunk. That looks paper thin on the one end and it's worn through on the other. I'm guessing you could build it back up, but I don't know how to do that without making the trunk too small to fit the daggerboard, or without opening up the hull to do it from the inside. (Wiser heads, please chime in!)

The first picture looks gnarly. Is the hull soft around that point? Looks like it just gave way. You should be able to cut that section out and build it up from scratch. I've seen photos where people have done that. But I've never done that repair myself. Again, wiser heads, please chime in!

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • The only real problems are in the first and last photos, especially the first. In the first photo you need to sand the cracks out so they are very shallow. You want a lot of surface area so the new resin and glass have something to bond to. The bottom of the hulls are the strongest parts cause it has the thickest fiberglass. There is no foam, so the repair should be easy.

I am going to forget explaining it and just link you.
    http://www.hobiecat.com/f…t=cradle+damage&start=30

The other photos, just sand with 60 grit, clean with acetone, and apply 3 layers of glass cloth only over damaged areas sand, then gelcoat, sand and buff.

Edited by jmecky on Apr 24, 2012 - 02:49 PM.

--
    ALLEY CAT 1984 RED LINE HOBIE 18 MAGNUM
    Sail # 10505 or 277
    San Diego, Ca
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.