Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Question about Nacra sail sizes  Bottom

• Will a Nacra 5.2 main sail work on an inter-18? Are the masts the same size? Thanks in advance.

Dan

Edited by danv35 on Apr 17, 2012 - 11:41 AM.
  • No ... I think the 5.2 is like 28' the Inter-18 (F-18) is 29'10" or there abouts. I think a 5.7 main will work if it had a boom. If you need a non-racing/get you thro a season or two main, I might be able to help. I just had a new main and jib made.

I have 2 other mains, a dacron one (that might be off a 5.7 or its an very original I-18, but for sure fits) and a I-18 mylar one that needs some tape applied de-lamining a bit but still sails. I need a backup as I'm tough on equipment.

Do you have battens? I pilfered from the spare set as they break/fly out of the sail.

Send me a personal message.

http://www.youtube.com/user/abnorm58

--Norm

Edited by nhanson on Apr 17, 2012 - 08:10 PM.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • Almost any smaller sail will work on a taller mast by simply adding a short pigtail wire or line (the length being the difference between the mast). Pete
  • I took pics recently with a few sails laid on top of each other to see the leach/luff/foot differences. I'll post them at some point. Basically the difference isn't relatively large, but it's there. They all get less aspect over time with age.

Edited by yurdle on Apr 18, 2012 - 09:40 AM.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • as said multihull sails have become more high aspect over time

so even though both the nacra 17 and the nacra 5.2 are the same length and have about the same sail area, generally the more modern sail is going to be slightly longer up the mast and slightly shorter along the boom

and if you try to mix boom-less sails, nacra 5.8, with loss-footed boomed sails, nacra 5.2 and bolt-rope boom sails, hobie 16, things don't fit at all

Edited by erice on Apr 18, 2012 - 02:46 AM.
  • nhansonhttp://www.youtube.com/user/abnorm58

Really nice video, thanks for sharing!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Here's an album showing a few different sails for size comparison. I put a few quick notes in the summaries. Feel free to ask any questions.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.