Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

19 year old wanting to start sailing FIRST BUY (Need to know if this is a good deal!!!)  Bottom

• Hey, My name in Brandon and I've been thinking about getting into sailing. It is something I always wanted to do, but I do not know anyone who does sail, and could help with advice on buying a Hobie 16. I have been searching around and I have recently found this Hobie 16. Any advice on buy? What questions should I be asking to owner? Whats a good price for this Hobie 16? I would really appreciate the help!!! Thank you icon_biggrin

This is the Link
    http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/2914716047.html
  • FB,

I took a look at this info when I was shopping. Others on here can give you good info on what to look for based on the year as well as the model. To me, the pics look good and you have extra sails. For an '87, I'd try to get it for a little less but it may be priced right....just depends on how well it's been kept. Just remember, these boats typically need to have rigging and parts replaced. SS wire for new stays/shrouds and new line for halyards can add up to a tidy sum very fast.

http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx

Good Luck,

--
    Bert Scott
    Niceville, FL
    Nacra F18
    --
  • it looks good... but make sure you make sure the mast is not bend and you dont have soft spots.
    read the guide that beest posted it helps alot.
    o.k.

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • It looks OK--anything newer than 84 is a decent boat. $1500 is a decent price for a good Hobie 16 around here. A few things to note--it has the adjustable upper castings and a comptip, so it is race ready! Which leads me to...You should check out the local Hobie Fleet in Va Beach. We are working on our website, but we have a FaceBook page, Hobie Fleet32.

We will have a Rookie Race in July and usually a lot of us hang out at Chicks Beach on weekends. You would have someone to sail with and you could get some pointers!

That, and we like to have the young guys around to help us move boats!! icon_evil
  • Usually no need to replace sheets & halyards. Simply put them in washing machine & they'll clean up new. Sort out while watching TV. Be sure to check that batten caps are good or replace. Lubricate jam cleats, replace broken mast cleats. Pete
  • If the hulls (sponsons?), tramp, mast, and sails are decent, I'd say that's reasonable, especially with the sail box. I'd check the hulls for soft spots, tramp/sails for wear/tears, and have them rig it to make sure it's complete. (A knowlegeble helper would be very valuable!) If all is well, start by flashing $1300 cash at 'em.

Also, I'd recommend you check the boat/trailer titling/liscensing requirements for your state. They vary widely, and some can be a real PITA if you don't get the paperwork right as part of the transaction.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • If you do end up buying it, post back - there are probably a few things you'll want to do fairly quickly to ensure the longevity of the boat (proper trailer bunks, etc.).

But, first thing's first. Before you buy, check the hulls for soft spots/delam, pylons and rudder gudgeon attachments solid, and the sails for sun damage, tears, etc. These are expensive, time consuming things to correct. Other items are usually not deal killers.

There are lots of boats out there. No need to unnecessarily jump on the first one that comes up.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • rattlenhum

Also, I'd recommend you check the boat/trailer titling/liscensing requirements for your state. They vary widely, and some can be a real PITA if you don't get the paperwork right as part of the transaction.

personal experience of yours in MS? (still need to register mine....)
  • mississippi didn't require a title for boat or trailor, just a bill of sale. but that was 3 years ago...laws have been changing lately. you may have to fudge a bill of sale within 30 days of registering. the most expensive part of it is the 25$ tag for the trailor per year.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • matt922
    rattlenhum

personal experience of yours in MS? (still need to register mine....)

My experience is similar to the 'rat, prettty easy in MS, but it's been a few years so things could have changed. Believe it or not, I've found the websites and people at MDWFP and Hinds Co. to be very helpful with this stuff.

Last I dealt with it, boat and motor titling is optional. It's my impression that, in order to aid recovery in the event of theft, folks only title high end boats/motors. To simply register with MDWFP, you'll need a bill of sale (notarized or two witnesses).

I don't think trailers are titled at all. Need a bill of sale (including VIN) and it helps if you have the previous registration showing taxes paid, otherwise you pay an extra year's back taxes. If there's no VIN, there's a procedure to register it as homemade, but I haven't gone through that since the 80s.

Pretty easy in MS as I said (mostly they just want your money!), but I've heard some horror stories about other states. Thus my original reply to the OP.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • I've decided to to take some time and not just jump on a boat, Like stated above, I've also came across this add as well. This Hobie is a 14, what are the major differences in the hobie 16 and 14? I weight 150lb, and I heard a hobie 16 could be quit a hand full alone, But I would also like a boat I can take a friend/girlfriend out on as well.
    Also is the asking price good?

Link to hobbie 14
    http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/2922437890.html
  • 2 feet

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • fatboy, it may be a good idea to go sailing with someone or taking some lessons before forking out the cash.
    This gives you something which is best gained before spending your hard earned money; experience.

I know it sucks waiting around when you just want to get out there, believe me i've been there (more than once).
    Check out fleets within driving distance and ask around. Someone will probably take you for a sail, or you can rent a boat with a skipper or take a couple of basic lessons on the water to get the feel of it. Money well spent, I guarantee you.

That will teach you a lot more than the theoretical differences between boats, because sailing is all about personal experience. It will quickly teach you what you like in a boat and what you hate. Armed with that experience, you will be in a position to find out what kind of boat you really need. Not what kind of boat you think you need or anyone tells you you need.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.