Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 17  Bottom

• I am looking for information about the H17 from people who actually have owned one or have sailed one long enough to get to know the boat. I would like to know how the H17 sails, how many people can go on it and what to look out for when inspecting one for purchase.
    Thanks,
    Dan
  • I have 2 17"s. Just bought them.. In my opnion, the things that seem to be problems are: The pockets for the wing mounts are plastic tubes,aprox 2 in, which are cracked.. Both of my boats have one of the 4 that is cracked.. One may have been workrd on and I will be checking it out soon. Google "hobie 17 wing repair" and see the Hobie mag link on how to repair them.. The other big issue is the sail. It is a bonded mylar. They de-lamanate and loose function.. While my sails have a bad case of mildue they both have a bit of delamination. If you entend to race, it means you will need a newer class leagal sail.. "Big Bucks".. I really like the boat and enjoyed the short sail I had on a freinds boat. I want a boat to single which I can right by my self.. The 17 is a good choice for those reasons. It is not a "a family boat hewever in my opnion.. A 16 is better there.. Cheers Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • www.hobiecat.com
    forums
    Hobie17/FX1
  • To repair the wing tubes you either have to go in from the top (inspection ports) or through the side (repair). I'd vote for the side but it's a job. Quick repair, if you don't have to trailer the boat, is to silicone around between the wing tubes and the wings. Keep the water out of the tubes and the leaks don't matter. If you're not going to race there are aftermarket sails. Check out Whirlwind on this forum. The class is dwindling as a racing class though. My favourite of all the Hobies. Don't get old and fat.
  • Just got mine as well. I hope to gt it in the water this next season but I have repair pockets and deck delam. Sail is pretty delaminated as well. I can't answer much for sailing it yet. Pretty sure it wont sail well with me on it. Mostly picked it up for my teenagers.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Quotehow many people can go on it

I never owned one, but i sail with a few (for many years now)
    weight is a big issue on this boat...
    this boat is intended for 1 person. you can sail with 2 (smaller) people but you pay a big price in handling, speed, etc
  • I've been racing Hobies in Div 11 since 1980.....mostly 16's, but have a good bit of time on Tigers and currently own a 17. It's a fun boat to day sail and race, although it's popularity is naturally fading due to it being out of production. I've read and agree with all of the previous comments and would only add the following: since it is VERY weight sensitive, I find the need to carry a 3mil garbage bag to scoop water as an aid to righting as I weigh in at the bare minimum. Also, if you live in colder climates, you MUST winterize the wing sockets with some antifreeze and then cover with tape to avoid damage.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.