Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Share youre thoughts about Racing and sailing a P18-2  Bottom

• Want to do the next round Texel race 2012. My mainsail and jib are somewhat worn out. Already put a F18 spi on it witch is easy to undo. Quote for a pentex fathead main and dacron jib is in the mailbox.
    Last year a class-legal P18-2 ended up 20th in the rankings between F18's and Carbon stuff, and over 300 cats
    starting !!
    My neighbour at the small cat-beach gave my a P19 mast, witch is longer.
    So, my dilemma is : should I enter the round Texel race class-legal ? Or pimp the old P18-2 with a longer mast
    , a spi, fathead main and new jib?
    A P18-2 has a rating of 108 and 103 with spi. A standard F18 has 105 and 100 with spi.
    Round Texel is the only proper race I do, the rest of the season its local club-racing and sail the heck out of her.
    Opinions please....

Regards, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Hey Andre,
    What you propose can be done. The 18-2 and the 19 booms are interchangable, and you should be able to adjust your rudders for the small change in COE on the 19's fathead sail. (Do you have the new rounded rudders?) But can you deal with the increased power sailing solo? You may also be in a weird situation with non-standard side and forestay lengths...
    If you are going to continue to sail solo, I would be tempted to stay with the 18-2 mast, grab new sails and keep the spi you already have.
    How is the Trexel committee going to react if you show up with an 18-2 that has a 19 mast, fathead sail and a spi from an F18? They could really screw around with your rating.
    BUT, I gotta say I would like to see how this hybrid would turn out.
    Sheet In!!!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • @ Bob,
    Round Texel is not a solo project, met this friendly sailmate last august, she already booked the
    hotelrooms for the race. Its a 60 mile race at open sea, so better not solo.
    My concerns is the rating, there's no way we can beat an F18 upwind with the outdated hull-design of
    a P18-2. How much will we lose in the rating with a P19 mast? Can't do both with the sails (fathead/class legal) .

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • It would be my guess that the rating hit would not help your case at all.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • The way the Texel rating system works doesn't take hull shape into account IIRC. Sails, boards, area and hull length are much more prominent factors. You can run the numbers yourself if you download their spread sheet and copy the numbers off the P19's sails and your p-18-2 hulls into a new line. That should give you a very good idea.
    My feeling is if the mods improve boat handling they may be worth the penalty. If they make the boat harder to handle you will have a very hard time sailing to the new rating.
  • Well if that is the case, correct me if I am wrong. Wouldn't a P19MX rig = F18 sails? He already had an F18 spin. I would think all the changes would put him very close to the F18 rating.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Thanks Guys, for all the replies. After 2 days in the "jungle" working with no internet, I had the time to think about
    the rating and the P19 mast.
    Then I read you're posts, and came to the conclusion to enter the Texel-race class-legal (thanks Bacho).
    My sailmate is new to catsailing, a change to a whole new setup may cause confusion. Also changing an older cat
    for the benefit of a better rating is almost impossible.
    Measurement of sails can be done till 2 days before the race starts, that's where I'm gonna decide whether we
    keep the spi or not (light breeze, yes. strong breeze, not) .
    So, a class-legal main and jib is next.
    Gonna keep the P19 mast, and try to get a used fathead main ( F18), later in the season. Keep you posted, Bob !

regards, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • Wise decision. Pete
  • That means I have to dig up and re-install the whole ( dry-suit eating ! ) 4-way jibsheet arrangement again.
    It just crossed my mind.

Regards, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.