Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

launching cat from boat ramp  Bottom

• Hi everyone,

I'm going to take my prindle 15 out for the first time this thursday. I've practiced rasing the mast a couple of times, and have worked out how the rudder system/ropes work (i'm a complete noob - i've never owned a boat before, let alone a catamaran).

I'm abit nervous about launching and retrieving the cat on a boat ramp from a trailer. I've never done this before. Can anyone offer a complete beginner any tips on how to do this? This is probably a stupid question, but do I reverse the trailer entirely into the water so the wheels are underwater? I'm hoping that i don't completely stuff up and block the boat ramp for too long :) Any tips for a complete boat newbie would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
    Michael
  • Its best to stop the trailer so that the boat is still out of the water mostly and slide it off the trailer. I would also advise that you have the sails down when you do this.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • My methods vary depending on weather, steepness of ramp, etc. In general I get the trailer in as far as I can without submerging the wheel bearings. Then push off and handle the boat in the water to get it pointed into the wind/waves. Having a second person who knows boats and can either man the boat or vehicles is (of course) a must. Doing it by yourself the first time would be pretty difficult.

If there is an onshore breeze (wind blowing from the water toward the launch point) or any kind of strong shifty breeze, no sails can be up during the process. Once in the water, I've been known to sail the boat on jib alone (easy to furl/unfurl on an H18) over to a beach before raising the main. You could do the same to get the boat over to a pier or mooring.

If there is an offshore breeze and its not too strong or shifty, then I often raise the sails while still on the ramp before launching. Keep in mind there is risk here. Use cautious judgement as boats capsizing on concrete or other boats is not pretty. Make sure the jib and main sheet (and related travelers) are as loose and free to move as possible to allow the main to weather-vane as the wind direction changes.

If you have beach wheels (best solution), you can push the boat off onto the wheels, rig up facing into the wind, and then maneuver down the ramp (forward or backward) facing the breeze.

In the end, there is no magic here. Common sense should get you through it.

Edited by rehmbo on Jan 08, 2012 - 07:24 AM.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • I did this for a year. I had to use a pretty steep concrete ramp.

I put the sails up before I went down the ramp. Of course to put the sails up and down, I had to drive to where the trailer was pointed into the wind. The boat isn't usually pointing into the wind when tied to the dock. Hanging the main on the tang and the jib on S hook while on water is really a pain too. Unfortunately this left my loose sails flailing while I was towing the boat around the lot and hauling out. It doesn't look professional.

Once the boat was in the water try and position it so you can sail off, depending on the wind I would usually paddle off before tightening the sheets. The guys that did this lot could sail off the dock every time, elegantly.

When hauling out, make sure your rudders are up. Tie the boat to the trailer, or it will just slide off. If no one is around, pull the drain plugs while you are on the ramp (and out of the water). Don't be a pain in the ass on a busy ramp. People get pretty grumpy about ramp amateurs.

I have a Subaru WRX wagon, tons of horsepower, but no low-end torque, and a five speed. Pulling a wet boat up a ramp is very hard on my clutch. The ramp had a lot of slippery algae too, some RWD cars would have trouble pulling a boat up the ramp.

To get the rudders up and tie the boat down to the trailer before hauling out, you have to get in the water. Wear shoes of some sort when you do this or you are likely to slip or step on a fishhook.

Edited by kgatesman on Jan 08, 2012 - 08:18 AM.
  • My thoughts (argue all you want, civil discourse is healthy)

Never hoist sails on the trailer while launching...... this is asking for a knock down and it will happen eventually. Turn the boat head to wind once launched. Hoisting sails on the water is not difficult on a properly tuned boat.

Stop short and slide boat off, or dunk the trailer and float off either work fine... if you elect to submerge the trailer....... figure on repacking your bearings more frequently. (I dunk my trailer and float on and off much easier for old guys.)

Rudders UP!!! tie up if necessary.

At least one final line securing the boat to the trailer until at the waters edge or you may launch prematurely (PBE), same on retrieval, leaving the boat on the ramp is embarrassing at the minimum.

Use a spotter when backing a trailer+boat w/mast up!!!!!!!!!!! (I have witnessed dry land dis-masting and electrocution is the worst case scenario.)

Always use a spotter...........
    Always use a spotter...........

Walk around the entire boat and vehicle after stepping the mast and before backing down the ramp, backing over your tiller extension or boom or sails is never a rewarding experience.

Did I mention always use a spotter.............

likely I am forgetting something but those are my 'rules'

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --
  • We are forgetting that once the boat is in the water we should have pre-planed what is next for the boat. Sometimes there is a sand beach close by.. In that case is is a breeze to set the sails there on solid ground.. Especially if you can walk the boat to the beach on a line. If is quite a ways to the day spot, I often only raise the jib.. It would take quite a gust to tip the boat with a un-tacked jib.. Also, dont take the tie down straps off till you are in the water. Get some that are secure but easy to un-do. For your confidence sake, take some cones to a empty parking lot with the boat in tow.. Practice backing and learn to use your mirrors. Not looking over your shoulder..Work on backing into a stall.. and.. Be sure the truck or car has good mirrors !! Ditto on the spotter.. 4 eyes are better than 2..

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • havliii I won't argue with you. Having the sails up on the trailer bites, the boat could tip and the sails take a beating. Hanging a Prindle mainsail on the water really is hard. At one point I was considering cable halyards to solve for the stock set up so I could hoist paddling out. I moved back to the beach so I have dropped this plan.
  • Being part of Havlii's trailer navy, I back up what he says and all the other responses that said to keep your trailer tied down. I was holding a bowline for a guy and almost tossed it back on the boat, but one of the characters in my head said to hold on for just another minute. It was a good thing because as his car and trailer took to the land, his boat was relaunched out to sea - until the end of the rope.

I have heartburn every time I dunk my wheels, but it makes trailering a lot more palatable. Packing bearing is actually pretty easy with the right tool. Northern Tool sells one for pretty cheap - gets the grease in all bearings.

I am a beginner to cats and trailer sailing and really new to Prindles (I bought my 18 last year on Labor Day Weekend), but I love hoisting the main on the water compared to my departed Hobie 16. Hopefully I will have a furler to take of the jib, as there is no way to hoist that on the water. Getting used to the ring and hook takes a little technique, but on mine it works great. If the sail is tough to raise - I would sand the mast track with some 600 grit sand paper - the difference on mine was like night and day.

Good luck with trailering - it may not be ideal, but some of us only have that option and it sure beats not sailing.

Karl
  • Know your lake, and become very familiar with all launch areas, everything about sailboats revolves around the wind, even/especially when launching, so if the wind is out of the S, can you launch on the S side of the lake so that your cat is facing into the wind, is there a beach available/nearby, do the ramps have jetty's on either side, do the jetty's have rubber bumpers or will you have to bring your own, is there enough space in the car park area for you to setup/breakdown, do you need to get there early to beat the public launch "rush" when motorheads are putting in, and most important, are there any overhead wires/trees/limbs?

The launch of your sailboat is like a well choreographed ballet, I arrive early, check the wind, setup cat, furl jib, raise main and attach mainblocks, drop main and secure on tramp, get all my gear on for sailing, back the trailer down to the water, get out and release tie-downs, back trailer into water, securing vehicle both times by selecting Park and setting the park break, get into water and float cat off trailer, secure cat to jetty either windward side or leeward side using common sense based on factors like wind strength/speed/direction. Hop back in vehicle, park vehicle in lot, run back to sailboat and raise main and go sailing.

I have worked out a method where after I park and lock my vehicle, I am not going back untill it's time to either have lunch, or go home, so when I secure the cat to the jetty, everything else has been done, I have on all my gear, so all I have to do is raise the main to go sailing. There are no beaches where I sail, only rock, and concrete and mud and more rock and more concrete, so once I take off, I do not want to have to turn back for something I forgot. With just some careful planning and anticipation, I usually am able to make most of my launches pretty successful, and look good doing it .................................... bomb
    turbo

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • michaelg,
    There is lots of advice here, and it is all good. Always raise your mast before you launch, being sure that there are no wires in your path to the ramp. Don't forget to put in your hull plugs before you hit the water. What you do next is up to the location. If there is any sandy shoreline near the ramp, launch and then walk or paddle your boat there. You can do anything on the beach easily once your mast is up. Depending on your situation, pick from the good advice here.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Klozhald is right on..........it's all good advice!

Lots of tips and tricks to be gleaned in this thread about trailer launching. Karl chimed in about our trailer navy, the RnBCYC, we hail from all over northern Virginia and meet-up at various launch sites all over the Chesapeake Bay, thus all of us trailer every time we sail.

In time you will have rigging and launching down to a science. Don't hesitate to ask anyone at the ramp for assistance including the stinkpot drivers, in my experience, everyone has a ramp story and most people will be willing to help. (they've been there done that)

Please log back on and tell us how your adventure goes, most of us arrrrrrrg just jealous that you arrrrrrg going sailing and we be watching snow fly.

Good luck and fair winds!

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --
  • Dang I am glad I live on the coast.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Good stuff in this thread, especially the safety tips. I've done more damage to my boat on launch ramps than on the water.

(if your boat has daggerboards, remove them entirely before retrieving the boat up the ramp, or they might drop down and grind 6 inches off the tips, leaving a white line all the way up the ramp. "I've heard of this happening")

To me the ideal ramp situation is where you have a beach next to the ramp, then just get the boat in the water, walk it over to the beach, rig it there.

Occasionally I have to launch from a traditional powerboat ramp where it's all concrete and docks, this situation really sucks but can be handled with at least two people. I don't even try launching from that kind of place single handed.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Hey Michaelg,

So I have a Prindle 16, and mostly sail (or at least launch) alone, at a dock, with only powerboats around. So, I think I have a good grasp of what you're going to be going through, with the pressure to speed things up and not make any mistakes.

Set up the mast,wires, rudders (in up position), lines, boom, everything EXCEPT for your sail when your P15 is on the trailer in the parking lot. REMEBEMBER since you are doing this alone, you need DOCK LINE to tie your boat while you park your vehicle. I use about a 10' long piece and tie it around the port or starboard forestay line. Choose the side that will be closest to the dock, once you turn the boat into the wind.

Lay your rolled up sail down on the trampoline, you can connect the haylard to the top so it's closer to being ready to go. P15's don't have Jibs so that's good, it's one less thing to set up, and you can ignore all the hook & ring talk from the other posts.

Remember your rudders need to stay up while at the dock, or the boat will want to sail.

Backing a vehicle up with a trailer takes common sense.. I've learned that steering the wheel with my hand on the bottom of the wheel is similar to the rudder effect, (turning left points the trailer right, turning right points the trailer left)

Remember your rudders need to stay up while at the dock, or the boat will want to sail.

I have large rubber bands with hooks to keep my hulls tight down on the trailer, and leave them on the FRONT of the hulls when launching, keeping the back untied to the trailer, allowing it to float freely.. as soon as I see the rear of my sailboat take float, I stop there, regardless of what my trailer tires are doing, and yes packing the bearings is essential for longevity. At that point, crawl onto the traler neck, undo the forward straps, and push the rest of the boat into the water, while holding the dock line.

This is when you need to walk the boat back (if the wind is offshore to the launch ramp) or slowly spin it around 180 if the wind is onshore, then walk it to the end of the dock (This frees up space for motorboats to creep in) and tie the dock line so the boat is right up to the dock. If it is really windy and causing the rear of my sailboat to drift away, then I will grab my traveler sheet and use that as a rear dock line, essentially pinning the boat to the dock from both ends.

IF YOU HAVE A LARGE DOCK FACILITY it is better to launch your boat to the side of the dock that is downwind ("Leeward") so that your boat isnt not being squished against the dock, and if you are downwind the natural tendency is your boat to float away from the dock when you sail away.

Okay, so go park, lock up, and walk back to start sailing. At this point stand on the trampoline while the point is still all tied to the dock, and raise that main sail! Get ready for it to become harder as more sail is in the air, and pushing it back and forth. When you have the sail all the way up, and the bottom of the sail is snug so that there are no wrinkles, tie off the haylard line, and store it in a trampoline pocket. All that's left is to lower the rudders (Remember your rudders need to stay up while at the dock, or the boat will want to sail...just saying... again) .. so Lower those rudders into place, make sure they're jammed in and locked,get you mainsheet and tiller untangled... double-check that your main sheet and traveler and all the lines are loose, because you're about to attach the sail to them...
    ...now the final thing...

...Grab the end of the mainsail ("Clew"), fit it into the sliding hole at the end of the boom by using the pin, and expect to feel the boat wanting to sail...fortunately your lines are very loose, and the sail has some wiggle room to flap around with the boom.

At this point, turn around, untie your dockline(s) and sheet in!

Wow that was a lot, but it all happens in a couple minutes and then you're sailing.

So.. coming back in from sailing? you have to approach the launch dock so that by the time you stop, you have your P15 pointed into the wind, sometimes this means flipping a full 180 at the last second, give yourself room to do that. The moment you hit the dock, tie off with your dock line, get back on the trampoline and drop your sail... now nothing is trying to move you, and you're free to RAISE YOUR RUDDERS and go get your vehicle.

Did i mention to keep the rudders up unless you're sailing?

From there, just back-step whatever you did to launch the boat, careful gettint the hulls in the right spot on the trailer before exiting the water.

If this is your first time, give yourself a lot of tolerance for mistakes here and there, it certainly takes practice. I would suggest parking your boat into the wind, raising the sail to make sure it goes all the way up, and then taking it down before putting the boat in the water.

In many of my experiences, at harbors in southern california, most weekend-warrior-type power boaters and fishers will assume sailors are a nuisance and they just don't understand that we usually do not have an engine to control things.. so therefore we actually plan a little better and think things through 100%, not just 98% that they can get away with because have reverse, neutral, and gear, so shrug off any of the eyes staring you down.. the minute you fly a hull out there they all come by hooting and hollering to see more.

--
    Redondo Beach, CA
    '80 Prindle 16.
    (Got it for free!)
    --
  • Philzy,
    What was that middle part, about the rudders?
    icon_lol

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.