Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Adding a Front Tramp to a P16 like a Getaway has  Bottom

• Has anyone done this succesfully, and if so how was it done?

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --
  • ooohhh.....don't do it!....i once looked at a p-16 that had a front tramp done like the original one(holes drilled into lip)...the inward tug created delams the size of fat people around the front crossbar(HUGE). you would have to use a crossbar like a g-cat to keep this from happening which end up being a big brake on the bow of the boat. you could get away with a small one for carrying gear(2' or so). now if you have a donor boat to play with and you don't care what happens to it go for it!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • guy at OSYC did it very nicely to his P18. along w/getaway wings... it's a heck of a cruiser w/those huge prindle hulls.... he put a furler on the jib too... all very nice. yes.. there's a crossbar across the bows (maybe it's an old hobie 16 boom?... i think slo did the fabric... will take some pix this weekend if i remember. i really like the boat.

Edited by robpatt on Jan 04, 2012 - 11:08 AM.
  • rob, is that the boat with those crazy port hole vents like on an ocean liner? that's definitely a pimpin cruiser!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Would be a fun addition for the kids if it is doable but not willing to trash my boat doing it :) would love to see pics if possible of that 18

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --
  • coastratrob, is that the boat with those crazy port hole vents like on an ocean liner? that's definitely a pimpin cruiser!

The beachcat with Dorade Vents!

Jim's boat is a chick-magnet cruiser. I haven't seen it since he completed the paint, must be awesome looking now.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • here is info i posted a few years back.

I added a small 2' tramp to my mystere to carry my cooler, anchor, righting bags and my 50mm guns(kidding)
    i show pics of my friends p18 with custom front tramp - he was a marine welder at the time...

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/2168
  • robpattguy at OSYC did it very nicely to his P18. along w/getaway wings... it's a heck of a cruiser w/those huge prindle hulls.... he put a furler on the jib too... all very nice. yes.. there's a crossbar across the bows (maybe it's an old hobie 16 boom?... i think slo did the fabric... will take some pix this weekend if i remember. i really like the boat.Edited by robpatt on Jan 04, 2012 - 11:08 AM.

Love to see some pics of that.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • MN3here is info i posted a few years back.

I added a small 2' tramp to my mystere to carry my cooler, anchor, righting bags and my 50mm guns(kidding)
    i show pics of my friends p18 with custom front tramp - he was a marine welder at the time...

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/2168

Found these online I think this is you buddies boat.

http://chrischow.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/img_2922.JPG

http://chrischow.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/img_2924.JPG

http://chrischow.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/img_2920.JPG

I just wish I could get him to make me the front spar. icon_wink

Edited by Quarath on Jan 05, 2012 - 12:36 PM.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • nope, that's not it... trust me the rig I'm talking about is a SWEET setup.

Bill and Damon.. you got it... Jim's Smooth Groove Luxury Liner.

Its georgeous... load it up with crew and make a great video.

Big tramp up front, pretty blue... matching blue "main" tramp... fresh glossy white paint all over... he did it up right... and oh, custom storage bag and drink holders sewn into the tramp as well. icon_smile

Edited by robpatt on Jan 05, 2012 - 12:59 PM.
  • Yes Dustin, that was from my friends P18.

He now sails a mystere 6.0 that he custom reworked all the spars, built wings, painted battleship grey . . . And he doesn't do marine welding anymore :(
  • MN3 He now sails a mystere 6.0...

Was the p18 still going strong when he changed boats or did the front tramp cause some damage?
  • Rider_55
    MN3 He now sails a mystere 6.0...

Was the p18 still going strong when he changed boats or did the front tramp cause some damage?

the p18 was in better shape than 95% of the boats i have seen (in my life). This guy takes very good care of all his gear.

The Mystere was a decade advancement in cat tech, and he owned a brand new mystere 4,3 with spin back before he had a daughter and loved that brand/style

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_y8ejLgn1PMg/TUrQhmcYnDI/AAAAAAAAANw/OSCXgdnjy_8/IMG_0453.jpg
  • MN3the p18 was in better shape than 95% of the boats i have seen (in my life). This guy takes very good care of all his gear.

Based on the pics that is what I would have guessed, but I had to ask just for due diligence because if his rig didn't hold up there is very little chance that something less professional would.
    Thanks
  • i think the big comfy upgrade to most any cat is wings...easy on the knees, clears up tramp space for kids. everyone i talk to who has them loves them...its not going to slow down your p-16 that much either. it might slow down set up time off of the trailor though, not sure about that.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • yeah, wings are VERY NICE for cruising... and overnight camping, etc.

i go back and forth w/my (H18SX) wings... it's like convertible boat.

with wings, it's the Chevy Suburban

with out wings, it's the Camaro.

I'll save corvette and ferrari for the likes of F-18s, 16s, and A cats. icon_smile
  • Wings are great, they open up the deck of the cat. and are great for packing gear and crew...

but wings do add a fair amount of weight so there is a serious penelty in very light air.
  • i think for the p-16 it's like with wings-minivan...without wings-minivan v-6 turbo..

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.