Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.0 and 5.7 parts compatibility  Bottom

• Hey guys,

I'm still trying to get the traveler issues on my '83 Nacra 5.0 sorted and I have found a 5.7 that is being parted out and the guy wants $100 USD for the entire rear beam with traveler, track and everything installed. Could the 5.7 beam be used or be modified to be used on my 5.0? My current beam is secured from the inside via one of the little half-moon shaped things with a single bolt thru it and thru the beam's single hole vs. the straps that I think the 5.7 uses.

Thoughts, issues?

Thanks,
    Jimmy

--
    -------------------------------------------
    1983 Nacra 5.0 Sail #10
    Dallas, Texas area
    --
  • Post some photos of what you have. I thought the 1/2 moon chocks were only used on the front, to prevent beam rotation. You could always drill hole through the beam to accept the bolt.
    The other issue is the placement of the spacer stops (they appear to be the same part as the "fork" up on the mast that holds the slug on the mainsail halyard) on the bottom of the beam that sit against the small oval fittings on the side of the hull. I have a beam from a 5.0, those stops are not the same distance, (about 3" closer together) than my 5.7.
    You could drill them out & move them.
    The beams themselves are the same extrusion. The V-brace bar on the front,(what the DS rod sits into ) is different on the 5.0, it is shorter.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Ok, so, I bought the 5.7 rear beam complete with the harken track and traveler car and was able to install it on my existing 5.0 rear beam and was soooo happy that it worked. The hole spacing on the harken track was slightly different from the shafer track by approx 1/16" each so I had to drill new holes but it all went off without a hitch. However, prior to installing the new track, I failed to hold the harken car securely enough to the track and it fell off and...... you guessed it....... I lost my balls, or at least a few of them. So, the question is, is there more than one size ball bearing? I'm trying to avoid mistakenly buying the wrong thing! Murray's has 5/32" balls... is that the one?

Thanks for the info!

Jimmy

--
    1983 Nacra 5.0 Sail #10
    Dallas, Texas area
    --
  • The ones for sale by Murrays are the right ones, you will also need a Harken traveler car bearing loader and some McLube
    one drop for the bearings. The loader is used to transfer the traveler car after it is loaded to the rear beam, almost impossible to do without it. The new Harken travelers have a captive system so the bearings will not fall out when removed from the track.
  • Get the Torlon balls if you have the choice and replace all of them. Chances are the old balls might have flat spots.

If you have to, or can't get a loader, you can load the balls with the assistance of shaving cream or toothpaste. I have done it on the beach without anything except some tape. Takes patience and beer.

--
    Philip
    --
  • QuoteMurray's has 5/32" balls... is that the one?

Murrays, or even West Marine will have the balls, get Torlon,(brownish colored)as Philip said. 5/32 is NOT what you want. I believe it is part #177, they come in packs of 21, & are 1/4" diameter. They make a smaller size for use in the furling drums. You need 21 for each side of the car, count them out, it is possible to get more in the race. When properly loaded, the race won't look "full". It needs the space for the bearings to run around the track so to speak.
    http://www.harkenstore.co….showProd?B4RPMEB9Y96BA4
    Sailing Services (P: 800-458-1074 · 305-758-1074 F: 800-443-0422 · 305-754-0257 W: www.sailingservices.com has them. The delrin is about 1/5th the cost of torlon. Torlon is used in the "high load" systems, & is tougher.
    If the beam is off your boat, it may be easier to turn it upside down across a couple of chairs. You can then see the bearings, as they try to fall out while you slide the car on. I did not have a loader a few years ago, & spent several cervezas to rig up a way to load them. Philips shaving cream suggestion is way better than what I came up with. You can also buy a loader for 10-15 bucks. Here is that thread.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/11583
    NOTE: I'm using a larger car(4 1/2") than what I think you have, so the bearing count is different. I think this one in my spare parts bin is the one you usehttp://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=83075&g2_serialNumber=3
    Once you get the car on, replace the end stops, BEFORE you tilt the beam. Once back on the boat, be sure to tie a stopper knot in your traveler line in such a position that the car is unable to travel far enough to hit the end stops.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jan 19, 2012 - 04:35 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • West Marine had the 1/4" torlon balls in stock but I'm going to wait until the loader I ordered shows up before loading the car. icon_wink

Also, I learned about the stopper knot the hard way with my previous traveler! icon_lol

Thanks for the insight.

--
    1983 Nacra 5.0 Sail #10
    Dallas, Texas area
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.