Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hiram's Haul Pitch Pole  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Gotta check out the Day-1 video about 4:30 in. Unbelievable. You can find it here: http://www.sailseries.com/

Makes me cringe to think what that did to the dagger/hull.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Ouch.

--
    Redondo Beach, CA
    '80 Prindle 16.
    (Got it for free!)
    --
  • I know the one Steering. he was my green fleet coach.

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • man, i hope thats not why people are always selling "like new" boats.

Edited by matt922 on Nov 08, 2011 - 08:26 PM.
  • thats more like a pole vault!....looks like he hits something solid.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • coastratthats more like a pole vault!....looks like he hits something solid.

Yep I think your are right. In the interview at the end of the vid he says he hit ground. Good eye.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • the wonderful world of daggerboards?
  • Yeah, I was there. I was right behind him in the race. Matt was doing great! He sailed a great race until he powered up in the puff. If was a patch of rocks just outside of the channel only about 50 years from the finish line. No one knew it was there. There are numerous sunken boats in the area, but no one knew of these rocks. I saw the damage to the boat. Mat is the owner and builder of his boat and I was amazed at what little damage it did. Port dagger was busted up about 2" and the starboard was busted up about 1". As to the hulls, when he laid it on it's side on the beach, he had some dents in the bottoms in the gel coat, but no holes and or anything that needed immediate repair.

--
    Forrest
    I-20 USA-645
    Hernando, Florida
    "There's not enough rum in the drum"
    --
  • If you look in front of the boat, you see a line of breaking water
  • MillCreek Mat is the owner and builder of his boat and I was amazed at what little damage it did.

Thanks for posting MillCreek (if that's your real name icon_cool

Very impressive that such a lightweight boat was able to hit an object at speed and not come apart. Maybe the lightness let it flip rather than have the daggers knife through the hulls.

By the logo on the spin that looks to be a F16 Falcon by the company that built the Blade F16's, so this is their answer to the AHPC Viper that sold so well? The building company is now called Falcon Marine LLC, but weren't the Blades built by Vectorworks Marine? Was this a name change or change of ownership?
    http://www.falconmarinellc.com/models.html

If you can PM me some contact info on Matt I'd like to interview him about his boats. Great that boats can be built in the USA and even exported to the Netherlands.
    http://www.theboatshop.be/html/nl/product_nl.html

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com,

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Quote you see a line of breaking water

I was thinking the same thing. At first I thought it was just the camera angle, & several waves lining up. I watched the video part a couple of times, & yeah there is definite evidence of shallow water ahead!
    It is easy to armchair sail, much different when you are out there, & more to think about in a race. I have one reef in my bay, I know where it is, & still managed tio hit it full speed in the Invitation.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • It is easy to armchair sail, much different when you are out there, & more to think about in a race. I have one reef in my bay, I know where it is, & still managed tio hit it full speed in the Invitation.[/quote]

You are right. Like sports and instant replay, you can replay it time after time, but in the heat of racing, in a congested area, in a limited area, you don't see it all. Add to it, the winds were 15-18 with gust to 20 and white caps everywhere, it was a challenge. After speaking to the other long time racers and race officials, even they didn't know it was there.
    It's just great that everything worked out and Mat and his crew were okay, and ready to race back the next day. icon_wink

Edited by MillCreek on Nov 11, 2011 - 05:53 AM.

--
    Forrest
    I-20 USA-645
    Hernando, Florida
    --
  • Actually, I said nothing about the fella in the video. My remark was meant as a point to people who don't know what 'a line of breaking water in front of the boat' actually means.

But hey, I'll refrain from making any remarks at all.
  • Tami, I don't think anyone was giving you grief about the comment. Just pointing out that the line in the water is much easier to see on the video in hindsight than it would be to see from the boat.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • who was the other person sailing with him? i think it may be a coach.

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • optikidwho was the other person sailing with him? i think it may be a coach.

It was Matt McDonald at helm and Dan Jarretti crewing. Even looking at it on the pier, none of us realized there was an oyster bar there until he hit it.
    http://sailseries.com/news/71-hirams-haul-results

I am working on some GPS integration and hope to have a sample out this weekend. To view a sample of it being used in auto racing:
    www.cyberspeed.tv/event-coverage/rennsport-reunion

Hey Forrest, hopefully you will be doing more endurance races. We need some new blood. The Steeplechase is the next race in the Endurance Series on December 10-11. Hopefully you can do that too. Do you have a team name so I can use that for the points?

Edited by cyberspeed on Nov 12, 2011 - 11:42 AM.

--
    Craig Van Eaton
    West Palm Beach
    Supercat 20
    www.teamcyberspeed.com
    www.sailseries.com
    --
  • my coach Dalton Tebo sails that exact same boat.

--
    Angelo
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • cyberspeedI am working on some GPS integration and hope to have a sample out this weekend. To view a sample of it being used in auto racing:
    www.cyberspeed.tv/event-coverage/rennsport-reunion

Cool. The g-force indicator would work well in showing the boat's angle of heel.

--
    Daniel T.
    Taipan F16 - USA 213
    Clearwater, FL
    --
  • QuoteIt is easy to armchair sail, much different when you are out there, & more to think about in a race.

If this is the line that caused angst, please be assured that it was not meant as any kind of critique. My only point was that some people may not see "the line in the water", & assume that the sailors were derelict in hitting the reef. For those readers I was trying to make the point that lots is happening, & it is very easy, even for experienced crew to hit something.
    We used to say on keel boats, there were sailors that had gone aground, & sailors that were going to go aground.
    My apologies if my post was taken in the wrong light.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteHey Forrest, hopefully you will be doing more endurance races. We need some new blood. The Steeplechase is the next race in the Endurance Series on December 10-11. Hopefully you can do that too. Do you have a team name so I can use that for the points?

Scott, we had a great time. No, I won't be able to make Steeplechase. My crew is limited to kitchen passes so we have to be selective. Of course he does have one for this one, so will be looking for a ride. We plan on doing more races next year. As to a name, I guess you can use the one Stank hung on us. Ole Yellow. icon_wink

Edited by MillCreek on Nov 14, 2011 - 10:18 AM.

--
    Forrest
    I-20 USA-645
    Hernando, Florida
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.