Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What is this rudder system from?  Bottom

• These rudders were on a Nacra 5.2 that got wrecked. I'm wondering what Hobie they were from originally. I'd like to sell them as tiller/casting /rudder, or the complete setup with tiller tie bar, but I don't know what model they were from. Clicking on photo will expand to full size.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=82884&g2_serialNumber=4
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=82887&g2_serialNumber=4
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=82890&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by Edchris177 on Oct 27, 2011 - 07:51 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Looks an awful lot like my H18 castings. Same rake adjustment screw is visible in bottom left of first photo.
    Upper gudgeon on the transom looks original. Lower one was replaced with Hobie style.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • QuoteLooks an awful lot like my H18 castings.

I agree
    are they all alum (old style) or do they have some rubber parts inside (upgrade)
  • That is the 'new style' Hobie 17 or 18 rudder system. Looks like the rudders are the older, softer style--the bendy ones.
  • Thanks guys. I believe the blades are a plastic. I'm not sure what is is inside, I never messed with them. There is a stainless bolt head about 1/2 way down the top curved part of the casting. I should have taken a few more photos.
    They work well, a pull on the arm to flip them up or down. I like that they lock up. My Nacra uses the bungees & while it works, it seems the bungees have to be replaced every season. Once they start to wear the rudders hang down a bit, then I have to be very careful sliding the boat back on the lift, or they catch on the frame.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • I took a photo today of inside the rudder guts. The "block" that is bolted onto the top of the casting is aluminum. The weird shaped thing inside is some kind of delrin like material. The tiller arms are straight.
    Does this make it the "new" system? They seem to work quite slick.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=82946&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Edchris177I took a photo today of inside the rudder guts. The "block" that is bolted onto the inside top of the casting(not visible in the photo) is aluminum. The weird shaped thing in the photo is visible when you pop the tiller arms up, is some kind of delrin like material. The tiller arms are straight.
    Does this make it the "new" system? They seem to work quite slick. Thanks, I don't know much about Hobie rudders.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=82946&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Edchris177
    Does this make it the "new" system? They seem to work quite slick.

Yes, those are the good ones. Look in good shape, the plastic cam can be replaced when it gets badly bent or cracked, the replacement kit comes with a special screw to replace the current rivet holding them on.

Lube with some white grease or whatever you have handy for best operation. The tension of release is adjustable by the plastic screw that comes up from underneath and compresses a spring inside.

It's good maintenance to make sure you can turn that screw, remove it and clean the spring and top plug and replace.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks for the intel Damon. I have not decided whether to sell them, or keep them & put them on my boat. They work better at locking the rudder up than my bungee system.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • If you can find a couple of EPO rudders to fit in there, then you'll have a great setup.

I've had a few challenges where the cam went into the down position prematurely (due to my error). Getting it back up is not too easy while out on the water. Adjusting the position of the small plate/bolt assy in the upper casting helped cure this.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Does anyone think this would work on a 5.5? the stock rudder system on a Nacra sucks, I know some love it but after 20 years on Hobie rudders this old dog does not like the nacra strings, pivmatic and shock cord stuff at all.

I guess has anyone tried it? Let me know, Ricardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • They will work, but you will probably have to relocate your gudgeons. The Hobie 18 new style system is great--especially if you get EPO rudders.

I have most of the 'kit' to upgrade to the newer style Nacra system if you want to go that route. It is in the Classifieds under 'Nacra Parts'. There is another ad with some of the parts I'm missing, too.
  • Edchris177Thanks for the intel Damon. I have not decided whether to sell them, or keep them & put them on my boat. They work better at locking the rudder up than my bungee system.

many mod their old nacras to add a rudder up line going from rudder to a jam cleat riveted up by the pivomatic

did mine a couple of years ago and have never had to touch the pivomatic bungee

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.