Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Murray righting bag  Bottom

• Just got a Murray righting bag from fleabay at a great price, and have a question about it.

It has a small hole around the top, which is no big deal (can be patched for strength purposes, and I'll never conceivably fill it to the top), but I was filling it with the hose to check it out, and water seeps through the seams. Now the boat would come up way before the water ever leaked all the way out, but is this a defect, or do all righting bags do this?

--
    USCG 100 ton Masters - Captain, Lower Mississippi River - 1978 Nacra 5.2 (yeah, it almost weighs 100 tons)
    --
  • don't know the answer to the question...but like the user name! what's the deal...cajun living in kentucky or vica versa...football or basketball...mint julip or hurricane...do you have to party for three days to watch a horse race or party three days to do just about anything?!...just kidding, i love both(lousiana more though, GO SAINTS!).

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • All of the bags leak some. Have heard the Hobie bags leak so bad that they are not usable. I have one
    from Colorado bag company on Ebay and it holds water quite well. Seams do leak a bit though.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • ~~ I've used that "silcone/camp-dry" spray that ya can get at "wallyworld" It has an orange cap..... I've used it on my tents & righting bags..... works good for the tent, I'am sure it works for the bag, but I haven't had to use it in the last few years..... I do my best not to flip, I like to sail more than swim..... I carry 2 bags cause I have monster boats and usually sail solo...... Spray the bags every year, inside & out !!!!!!!

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • my murreys bag leaked like crazy. i called murrays/ they said it was normal.
    i tired the spray Popeyez mentioned... didnt do much if anything as far as i could tell
    i also carry 2 bags... unless i have crew. then i leave em home sometimes to save weight
  • I have the murray's mondo big bag with the blocks....

It leaks from the side and bottom seams... a fair amount.

But then again, that's a lot of water in the bag pushing at the bottom... sure' it's gonna spout a bit unless it's a solid vinyl 1-piece....

Anyway, if you get the boat oriented to the wind right, and haul on that line, the bag's up quick, the boat comes up, and there's no time for all the water to leak out... so 250lbs (my daughter and I) and the big bag bring a H18 right up when pointed into the wind....
  • so the bag leaks. big deal. right the boat, pop an ICB and carry on . . .

--
    Philip
    --
  • Has anyone tried seam seal like that used on tents? http://www.rei.com/produc…id-seam-grip-seam-sealer The silicone sprays are good for waterproofing the fabric but do not really build up enough to seal holes or seams.
  • The fabric itself is pretty much waterproof, it is the needle holes in the seams that leak.
    As MUMMP said, right the boat & pop an ICB,(though it's going to be fizzy after the crash icon_smile
    I use a bag from Colorado Bag Co, & yes the seams leak. It is irrelevant. You don't hoist the bag til everything else is organized. I solo lots & have 3:1 on the bag. Once I'm ready I pull the bag up, step infront of it, so as to get the line over my shoulder, & hike out. The bag has triple the capacity I need to get a 5.7 up, especially if the wind is blowing, so a liter leaking out is meaningless. I wouldn't waste a minute trying to seal it.
    Haven't used it this year, as I have not capsized this season. My buddy splashed us a few times, but with two bodies we right it in under a minute.

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 20, 2011 - 11:47 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Rider_55Has anyone tried seam seal like that used on tents? http://www.rei.com/produc…id-seam-grip-seam-sealer The silicone sprays are good for waterproofing the fabric but do not really build up enough to seal holes or seams.

I took the time to use some cheapo seam sealer on mine, and it does help a lot.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks for the quick replies. The bag itself doesn't leak, just the needle holes (as robpatt and Edchris177 described). It's the big bag system with blocks, so the $$ I spent were well worth the price of the blocks & cam cleat alone.
    I would also rather sail than swim, but I do sail solo the majority of the time, so this is just "insurance" that I don't get stuck out by myself. My old 5.2 is a bugger to get righted when I'm by myself (I only weigh 165).

coastrat - Louisiana born & bred, 20 years in Paducah, KY, then back home to stay about 6 years ago. Not into sports that much, but any excuse for a 3 day party works for me icon_biggrin

Hmmmm - register in 2004. Have I been lurking THAT long? icon_eek

--
    USCG 100 ton Masters - Captain, Lower Mississippi River - 1978 Nacra 5.2 (yeah, it almost weighs 100 tons)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.