Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P16 Shroud tension and adjustment  Bottom

• Sanity check: I have my shrouds pinned in the 7th-8th hole down on the P16 adjustor and still getting some mast banging in chop. I am guessing my forestay needs shortening with the turnbuckle. Where do other P16 owners typically pin the shrouds? Top, middle etc. Also has anyone just plain gotten rid of the adjustor and gone with a fixed length forestay rigged for "Most" conditions?

Thanks

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --
  • My side stays are in the 3rd hole up from the bottom on my P18 and my rig is pretty tight meaning at rest on the beach my stays don't have any slack. I have customed my upper forestay some to account for an H18 furler but the bottom still connects with the turnbuckle to the adjuster for the H18 furler which is an adjuster like a chainplate only a single piece instead of a forked chain plate. adjuster that foes down through the center of the drum and pins.

You probably don't need much mast rake a Prindle so if you have some adjustment in the turnbuckle I would recommend turning it in with everything attached until the rig is pretty tight but the mast can still rotate smoothly. Once you have this set tighten the nuts on the turnbuckle and tape them up with some electrical tape(I recommend the colored kind) now unless you decide to play with the rake when you are ready to un-step the mast have someone hang on the trap lines on one side and while they are doing that take out the shroud pin and move it up several holes and repin it. This will loosen the rig enough to unpin the forestay and lower the mast. When you put it up again all you have to do is pin it no retightening of the turnbuckle needed. Once up do the opposite have someone hang on the traps then move the shroud pin back to it's regular position. It should all be nice and tight as before.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • i have the shrouds pinned one hole from the bottom...about 18" of rake. when i step the mast, i loosen the turnbuckle almost all the way so i can attach the shackle then tighten the turnbuckle until the rig is tight. the book says move the shroud pin up a hole or two before you step then use mainsheet and/or trap to pull on the mast so someone can move the pin down to desired position. its easier for me to just screw the turnbuckle with 2 wrenches and not mess with the pins. tight is good...less violence when tacking/jybeing.

the way i understand it, and let me have it if i'm wrong, is that the more rake, more weather helm(must adjust rudders foreward to tune)-mast rake increase also increases pointing ability but dimishes downwind performance. more rake hurts you in light wind but de-powers you in heavy wind. i experimented over these past 3 years and like the big rake...where i launch from i have a channel and land on north and south sides, i find myself needing the pointing ability often. i also noticed tacking was easier with more rake. my boat is tuned for high winds and upwind speed...when it was raked more foreward it flew the hulls easier. my dream day is 20-25mph winds with 3-5 seas...hull flying is cool but the boat slows down, i like to try to get both hulls out of the water! that's the beauty of the p-16, overbuilt but lighter than the h-16... still trying to destroy a thirty-something year old boat, then i'll bolt on another part and try again.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Thanks guys - apprecaiate the sanity check. I guess I just need to keep my shrouds where they are but take up some more tension on the forestay to stop the mast banging too much in the waves.

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.