Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18 mast bend  Bottom

• Tips for setting the bend int he mast on a prindle 18. I think my fore stay is too tighe and I have put the rake in the mast with the shroud pressure. I have a 13.5 rake in the mast and the diamonds are set firm. Hard to press against mast 12 inches above attach point. But when I pull the main sheet in tight I do not a good bend i the mast. I can loosen the diamonds and I still donot get a good bend. The diamond spreaders aer set by the book. But when I loosen the diamonds the top of the mast does not bend back. I think that the forestay too short and that the rake in the mast is being created by the tight shrouds. Will figure o0ut this weekend but just thought there may be a few pointers out there.

Thanks Everyone Good Sailing
    Bob
  • Two ways to bend the mast in order to flatten the sail.

Loose diamonds and use mast rotation to allow bend along minor axis (sideways). When mast is rotated near 90 degrees, it will easily bend sideways and flatten the sail. Reducing mast rotation aligns major mast axis with the sail and keeps it full. Downside to this is the bottom of the mast can bend into the slot between the jib and main.

Pre-bend is the other method. Set spreader rake about 2-3 inches and tighten diamond wires extremely tight. Get a loose gauge to measure it. Then use downhaul to bend the mast back along its major axis. The tight diamonds keep the mast from bending into the slot. It also allows the top to twist off during a gust.

--
    Uwe
    94 Prindle 19 - "überKat"
    DFW, TX
    --
  • Way too technical for me but I do run my P18 rig fairly tight as well. I don't feel I am to the point of worrying to much about the mast bend right now. I'll settle for get were I want to go and back again ;) which I am doing pretty good at now.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Thanks for the hekp. I just wonder if I have put rake in the mast with the shrouds. I am going to leave as is and run a string from the top to bottom of the mast and just see if it is bending between the shroud attach points and the bottom of the mast. LOL that would be strange---:-\. Then again I have nerver sailed like that. It gives the mast a bunch of rake and the sail seems to have a very good shape I mean a very good shape. I did not measure the deep points of the foam battens but by the eye they look good. The info of the axis points on the rigging is a GREAT tip. Learn something every day thanks I did not see that. Whats funny is that I have a 13.5 inch rake in the mast and the forstay adjustment seems tight. The boat was level both ways when I measured the 13.5 inches of rake but there was a small breeze but I had a pair of vice-grips- a screw driver and a cressent wrench to hold myu main hayard down to get the measurment. Boy sailing is fun but when ya got them is really good tune its insane fun to feel the boat get in the slot and scream. Thanks for the help again

Bob

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.