Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P 16 rigging question  Bottom

• I relaized that my trap lines on my P16 are really loose so was wondering if someone has pics or advice on how much tension should be on the shock cord when the trap lines are not being used. I also have a question on the handle height, since it is really hard for my crew to swing back in after being out on the wire and wonder if they have too little leverage with the trap handles being too low? (Perhaps the wrong length of wire? if there are measurements that would be great

Thanks folks, I am quite new to Prindles after being a Hobie guy so feeling my way around here

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --
  • Look at Andrews pic on "adjustable trap line" thread. I like 3:1 using a small fiddle block or clam cleat with roller and I like the handle very high so arm strength helps boost me out. Pete
  • thanks Pete, how can the handle be adjusted for height or cant it? just by longer/shorter wire length?

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --
  • Take off your trap wires, take to West Marine (assuming you don't have a crimper). They usually have a rigging table. Cut off the desired amount remembering you'll need about 3" for the bend around thimble. Buy thimbles & nicopress sleeves (3/32) & re-crimp wires. If your wires come with aluminum bar stock for the handles, now is the time to buy new T handles (keeping focused not to put them on upside down). Afterward, add the 3:1 with fiddle block or clamcleat with roller to your dogbones (or if you have young kids going to be on the boat, buy (from Murrays) the Bethwaite ball & socket system & change out your hook for the carbon socket on your harness. More expensive, but much safer. Pete
  • I also had to adjust to the Prindle trap wires after sailing a Hobie 16, on my H16, dogbones were set high up, could stand on tramp, hook in and then lean out on wire, not so on P18, totally different technique. You hook in while sitting down, then you wiggle your butt over the side of the hull, untill wire takes your weight, then you have to pivot sideways to get a leg out onto hull side and lever your body out. I don't like this method, too much going on what with tiller extension and sheet lines in hand and trying to get out on the wire, sometimes foot slips, causing me to haul on tiller, cat veers away swinging me like a pendulum, have on occasion almost lost it due to this technique. I think I will send my trap wires in to be shortened this off-season. I used Hobie bungee cords on my P18, just undo/cut knot on one side, slip hook off, thread through grommets, slip hook back on, adjust tension, tie knot, cut off excess bungee, burn end and you ready to go. Handle height is adjusted by nicopress sleeve swaged onto wire.

Turbo

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Tension while not is use is up to you. I like mine somewhat taught so they are not all over the place but many I sail with have their's fairly loose. I'm to big to really trap out so I really don't' use them much but the kids do. Under sail the leeward ones will flop around no matter what you do as will the side stay.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.